cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is delegation possible when patching an existing SharePoint item?

It seems that when patching an existing SharePoint item, the "First" function (which is non-delagable) is required to identify only one record. Is anyone aware of a delagable method to patch a record? I am trying to scale-up an app that would connect to a SharePoint list that I anticipate could have >10,000 items. Thanks for any help!

Background: I created an app that allows students to write practice questions, practice and rate questions created by other students, earn points for highly-rateq questions they authored and answering questions correctly, etc (see attached for some documentation if interested). It works well for one course, but I was hoping to make it available to the University by adding a course ID.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Is delegation possible when patching an existing SharePoint item?

Hi @Anonymous,

You can use Lookup(), Filter(), "= ", and StartsWith() in Sharepoint as these are all delegatable functions and should be sufficient to identify a unique record to Patch.  Sharepoint automatically creates a Primary key (ID) for every list and that can be filtered in a Patch() function. The syntax for editing a record is Patch( DataSource, BaseRecord, ChangeRecord1 [, ChangeRecord2, … ]).  So for example, a BaseRecord can by found by Lookup(Datasource, ID = Gallery.Selected.ID) without worrying about delegation. 

Tip: Remember to index searchable columns in large Sharepoint lists, {I believe that the ID column is automatically indexed).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You can use Lookup(), Filter(), "= ", and StartsWith() in Sharepoint as these are all delegatable functions and should be sufficient to identify a unique record to Patch.  Sharepoint automatically creates a Primary key (ID) for every list and that can be filtered in a Patch() function. The syntax for editing a record is Patch( DataSource, BaseRecord, ChangeRecord1 [, ChangeRecord2, … ]).  So for example, a BaseRecord can by found by Lookup(Datasource, ID = Gallery.Selected.ID) without worrying about delegation. 

Tip: Remember to index searchable columns in large Sharepoint lists, {I believe that the ID column is automatically indexed).

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @Drrickryp! I had no idea you could use LookUp within a Patch to identify the record. DMTWD (Dumped my trunks with delight)!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,676)