cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coatsy35
Level: Powered On

Is it a Bug?

I have an edit form and cannot get any onselect function to work on any controls, if the control is inside a datacard, unless the form is in edit mode (which is not practical, as I need people to select a button when viewing the form). To me this must be a bug, as a view form (which is permanently in view mode) can use onselect absolutely fine.

The way I am going, I'm going to have to have a separate form to view and another to edit, which is a pain as it would be far easier to have one form that can do both. (I can't place a button over the top either as I have a scrolling form), surely this needs fixing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it a Bug?

@Coatsy35 

Yes, you do have that issue with an EditForm.  Bug? not sure, but it definitely does behave that way.

One thing you can do is to "override" the form mode with your own mode. 

You could have your own variable somthing like formModeEdit set with UpdateContext({formModeEdit:true})  for when you want to be in edit mode and false when you don't.  Then, it's painful for a large form, but the idea is to unlock each datacard and then change the DisplayMode property of each DataCardValue control to If(formModeEdit, FormMode.Edit, FormMode.View).

Then keep your EditForm in Edit mode all the time and use the variable to change the displaymode of all the controls. 

Your button would be active all the time then.

I hope this provides to be a helpful workaround for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@Coatsy35 

Yes, you do have that issue with an EditForm.  Bug? not sure, but it definitely does behave that way.

One thing you can do is to "override" the form mode with your own mode. 

You could have your own variable somthing like formModeEdit set with UpdateContext({formModeEdit:true})  for when you want to be in edit mode and false when you don't.  Then, it's painful for a large form, but the idea is to unlock each datacard and then change the DisplayMode property of each DataCardValue control to If(formModeEdit, FormMode.Edit, FormMode.View).

Then keep your EditForm in Edit mode all the time and use the variable to change the displaymode of all the controls. 

Your button would be active all the time then.

I hope this provides to be a helpful workaround for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Coatsy35

@RandyHayes  Thatsa neat workaorund, thanks for that, never though to look at it like that. I will use that for now. it's a shame that they don't alter/fix it so we don't have to use such work arounds.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

HI @Coatsy35 ,

Do you add a Button control within a Data card control in your Edit form?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding on the "overrides" of DefaultMode property of Edit form.

When you add a Button control within a data card of your Edit form control, the DisplayMode property of the Edit form (Parent) would override that of the Button control in the data card (Child) within the Edit form.

In other words, the Button control in the data card of your Edit form which is in View mode would not be clickable for you.

The user @El-Shonka has faced similar issue with you, please check the following thread for more details:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/Adding-button-to-custom-card/m-p/244638?author_id=...

As an fixed solution, please consider take a try to add your button outside the Edit form (within the Edit screen) rather than within the data card of Edit form.

Note: If you add your button within Data card control of a Display form, the button control would also not be clickable.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Coatsy35

I am actually wanting to click on a image rather than a button, but I used the button as an example. However, on a Display form you can click on an image or button. You suggested this was not possible but it is.

I cannot have the control outside of the form as then it would not scroll with the form. I will try as others have suggested and just turn on edit mode and turn of the cards I don't want editable and switch when needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,882)