cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Shay
Level: Powered On

Is it possible to have a form to have multiple data sources (SharePoint Lists) ?

Is it possible to have a form to have multiple data sources (SharePoint Lists) ?

Thanks in Advance,

Shay

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Is it possible to have a form to have multiple data sources (SharePoint Lists) ?

A single form is designed to be bound to a single datasource. So in that sense no, you can't really connect a Form up to multiple datasources.  But you can have multiple forms on a screen which are connected to different datasources or individual fields that aren't inside the form that are bound to other datasources.  If you do that you're probably going to have to use Patch() to do the updates when you submit.  I've done several apps that have one Form that shows the master record from a relationship and another form/gallery that shows the detail records associated with that master record.

So it is more complex, but definately doable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Is it possible to have a form to have multiple data sources (SharePoint Lists) ?

Unfortunately, in this case the answer is the standard one for consultants.... It depends.

More seriously.  In the case you dscribe I would normally have suggested you move that whole design out of SharePoint and into a relational database like Azure SQL.  At least I would have prior to the new licensing announcement for October 1. Now that option may be cost prohibitive unless you already have Dynamics or premium licensing.

If you don't and it needs to stay in SharePoint there are a couple possiblities. First, would be to have a central form that loads up all the key values from the other lists. That way you can have one form with one record and use the values in the field in that record to get records for other controls and child forms.  That one central form would also be the one driven by a selection in a gallery if you are using that kind of feature.

The other possibilty I can think of is to try to get all the info loaded from the various tables into a local collection and then drive your forms from the collection (kind of like doing a Sql view or a join to get a data set).

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

A single form is designed to be bound to a single datasource. So in that sense no, you can't really connect a Form up to multiple datasources.  But you can have multiple forms on a screen which are connected to different datasources or individual fields that aren't inside the form that are bound to other datasources.  If you do that you're probably going to have to use Patch() to do the updates when you submit.  I've done several apps that have one Form that shows the master record from a relationship and another form/gallery that shows the detail records associated with that master record.

So it is more complex, but definately doable.

Shay

@Pstork1 Just a follow-up question to that, My back-end data is in 18 sharepoint lists, out of which "Master List" includes all the primary keys and all the other lists includes facts about different tables (kind of star schema design). 

For this can you please suggest the best way to design the application (Forms or using custom Insert text inputs ).If I take forms from dimension table, I won't be able to use look-ups to show values from the other tables, as they can't be added in the same form.

I am more inclined towards the forms, as the SharePoint List has over 200 columns and manuall creation will be very time consuming.

Thanks in Advance,

Shay

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Unfortunately, in this case the answer is the standard one for consultants.... It depends.

More seriously.  In the case you dscribe I would normally have suggested you move that whole design out of SharePoint and into a relational database like Azure SQL.  At least I would have prior to the new licensing announcement for October 1. Now that option may be cost prohibitive unless you already have Dynamics or premium licensing.

If you don't and it needs to stay in SharePoint there are a couple possiblities. First, would be to have a central form that loads up all the key values from the other lists. That way you can have one form with one record and use the values in the field in that record to get records for other controls and child forms.  That one central form would also be the one driven by a selection in a gallery if you are using that kind of feature.

The other possibilty I can think of is to try to get all the info loaded from the various tables into a local collection and then drive your forms from the collection (kind of like doing a Sql view or a join to get a data set).

Shay

@Pstork1 Thank you for all the information.

dyee4614

The best solution, IMO, is to avoid making a form.  You can create a collection and display the questions via a gallery or you can have the questions as standalone then use patch. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 229 members 2,502 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: