cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SaWu
Level 8

Is it possible to retrieve session ID when PowerApps App, or PowerApps Studio are frozen?

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

When I encounter bugs and report those in forums or via support tickets, I am typically asked for App IDs and sessions IDs.
However, I have also encountered bugs of these 2 kinds:

1. The PowerApps App on a mobile device (Android, iOS) freezes
  2. PowerApps Studio in the Browser freezes or seems stuck, sometimes immediately upon loading
    2019-05-03 10_17_32-PowerFair_Dev - Saving ... - PowerApps.png

How do I retrieve a session ID is these two cases.
More specifically:

1. If I have to quit and restart the (frozen) PowerApps App on a mobile device, am I still in the "old" session?
  2. If no to 1: Is it possible to retrieve the "old" session id from the last time the mobile App was opened?
    Is there still a use to reporting the "new" session id after having restarted? 
  3. Are session IDs in PowerApps Studio per login/oauth session?
    To me personally, session Ids being found in the "Account tab" would suggest yes.
    image.png
  4. If no to 3: Is it possible to retrieve the "old" session id of a different PowerApps Studio tab?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Is it possible to retrieve session ID when PowerApps App, or PowerApps Studio are frozen?

Hi @SaWu ,

Yeah. You understanding is correct.

If your app actually freezes or becomes unresponsive, you could not get the current session id of your app.

As an alternative solution, you could run your app in web browser, and get the session id value. In addition, there is no way to get the Session ID value outside PowerApps currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Is it possible to retrieve session ID when PowerApps App, or PowerApps Studio are frozen?

Hi @SaWu ,

Could you run your app within your browser successfully?

Based on the questions that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding on the Session ID of an app.  The Session ID value would be generated automatically when you Create, Edit or run an app every time. In other words, the Session IDs in PowerApps Studio are per login/oauth session (I agree with your third opinion).

Currently, within PowerApps, there is no way to get the "old" session id of an app from the last time the mobile App was opened.

If you could run your app within your web browser (e.g. Chrome), you could also get the Session ID of your app from there. 

More details about getting Session ID of an app in web browser, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid#when-running-an-app-in-a-...

If the issue still exists, please consider restore your app to previous version or re-create a new app, then check if the issue is solved.

More details about restoring an app to previous version, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/restore-an-app

Best regards, 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SaWu
Level 8

Thanks for the reply Kris (@v-xida-msft),

My question was actually triggered by one user of a PowerApp reporting the Camera triggered by an Add Picture control freezing completely (sometimes).
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Camera-opened-from-AddPicture-control-frozen-...
So, to answer your first question:
Yes, I could run the App successfully in the browser.
But also no, since the choice of "Camera" is not available for the Add Picture control in the browser.

Am I correct in reading the rest of your answer the following way:

1. Every start of the PowerApps App creates a new session
  2. The start of an App inside the PowerApp does not create a new session
  3. Opening an App for Editing inside a Browser creates a new session
  4. Playing an App inside a Browser creates a new session
  5. Most importantly for my original question:
    It is currently impossible to get a session id when PowerApps (the App or the browser tab) actually freezes, i.e. becomes unresponsive.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @SaWu ,

Yeah. You understanding is correct.

If your app actually freezes or becomes unresponsive, you could not get the current session id of your app.

As an alternative solution, you could run your app in web browser, and get the session id value. In addition, there is no way to get the Session ID value outside PowerApps currently.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 85 members 5,337 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: