Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NewJakale
Level: Powered On

Issues switching from an Excel source to a Sharepoint Source

Hello everyone!

I worked on a ticket management app, which works just fine, using an Excel database (around 20 tables) the only issue i have with this system is that Powerapps only supports the firts 2000 lines of an excel table which is not enough for my app.

The only option I found to overcome this option was moving it to a Sharepoint list. I exported my excel tables to a sharepoint list (the new lists have the same names as the tables) this brought up a good amount of issues:

-In the newly created lists the Internal name of the first column is "Title" even though it was named "ID_FA" this implies changing each instances "ID_FA" is mentionned in the app (and this applied to each first column of 20 lists).

-The names of some columns that use special characters like "N° PO" to "N%5Fx00b0%5F%5Fx0020%5FPO" as column internal names.

- The standard type used in the Excel tables is converted to the closest Sharepoint type. For example if you have something like "2018-06-11" which used to be in standard type it would be switched to a number type thus creating an error on the Maxlength parameter since it is no longer a string. Switching to a string would not be possible as calculations have to be done on this number.

-Some comboboxes only show blank results even though no errors are marked.

If you have any tips or good practices on switching from excel to sharepoint feel free to share them.

Thanks in advance!

-NewJakale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Issues switching from an Excel source to a Sharepoint Source

Hi @NewJakale,

You have discovered some of the pitfalls already.  My suggestions are 

• Use CamelCase for Column names and eliminate spaces and special characters from them  Ie. Customer Name should be CustomerName.
  • Don't use Person, Lookup or Choice type columns in SharePoint.  These are shortcuts that have some usefulness in SharePoint but they will create problems down the line with PowerApps.  The functions they perform can be replicated in PowerApps. See Lookup--versus-Single-line-of-text-In sharepoint by @Rick72 and  Replacing the lookup function in SharePoint lists by @Shanescows
  • SharePoint will create an ID column automatically for your tables.  This can be referenced by another list as a foreign key to create one to many relationships. 
  • There are a number of valuable blog posts in the PowerApps community blog as well as videos in our  Community-Video-Gallery regarding the interface between SharePoint and PowerApps.  Check them out and many of your questions will be answered, including some you haven't thought of yet.   

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @NewJakale,

You have discovered some of the pitfalls already.  My suggestions are 

• Use CamelCase for Column names and eliminate spaces and special characters from them  Ie. Customer Name should be CustomerName.
  • Don't use Person, Lookup or Choice type columns in SharePoint.  These are shortcuts that have some usefulness in SharePoint but they will create problems down the line with PowerApps.  The functions they perform can be replicated in PowerApps. See Lookup--versus-Single-line-of-text-In sharepoint by @Rick72 and  Replacing the lookup function in SharePoint lists by @Shanescows
  • SharePoint will create an ID column automatically for your tables.  This can be referenced by another list as a foreign key to create one to many relationships. 
  • There are a number of valuable blog posts in the PowerApps community blog as well as videos in our  Community-Video-Gallery regarding the interface between SharePoint and PowerApps.  Check them out and many of your questions will be answered, including some you haven't thought of yet.   

View solution in original post

NewJakale
Level: Powered On

Thank you for your reply,

Unfortunatelly i think there is no definitive answers to my request as it isn't so uncommon, thank you for the tips, i hope this can help other people though!

I am just going to remake the application using a sharepoint list from the beginning.

Again, thanks for your time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,256)