cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgparisoto
Level: Powered On

Kind of licenses (Microsoft PowerApps Plan 2 / Office 365 Enterprise E3)

Hi guys!

I've a Office 365 Enterprise E3 license.

Do you know if I need to have a Microsoft PowerApps Plan 2 to work with my PowerApps projects?

Besides this, what license I have to buy to only share my app to a employee, that do not need to use any other service from Microsoft?

Thank you.

Robson.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Kind of licenses (Microsoft PowerApps Plan 2 / Office 365 Enterprise E3)

Hi @RandyHayes

I agree that the licensing rules are confusing.

My understanding of the on-premises gateway is this. Prior to February 2019, the E3 license included the use of the on-premises gateway. As of now, new Office 365 users no longer have access to the on-premises gateway. However, existing E3 users who were using the on-premises gateway have dispensation to continue doing so until 31st January 2020, or the expiration of their license whichever is the longer. Here's the link where I'm basing this information.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/187283

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Hi Robson,

With an Office 365 Enterprise E3 license, you can build apps without a Plan 2 license.

Other employees with Office 365 E3 licenses will be able to access your app without needing an additional license.

The main limitation of the Office 365 license is that you can't use premium connectors, the on-premises gateway, or the CDS. Therefore, the Office 365 license is ideal for building apps against SharePoint Online data sources.

Super User
Super User

@timlthe exact plan included with the E3 license is very unclear.  When reading docs on the E3 it mentions the "PowerApps Plan", but never mentions an equivalent level plan.  It would be great to get some clarification on that exact plan.

However, in regard to the on-premise gateway...we actually use that on the standard PowerApps plan that comes with E3.  So, again, the confusion as to what is and what isn't persists. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Super User
Super User

Hi @RandyHayes

I agree that the licensing rules are confusing.

My understanding of the on-premises gateway is this. Prior to February 2019, the E3 license included the use of the on-premises gateway. As of now, new Office 365 users no longer have access to the on-premises gateway. However, existing E3 users who were using the on-premises gateway have dispensation to continue doing so until 31st January 2020, or the expiration of their license whichever is the longer. Here's the link where I'm basing this information.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/187283

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

This is VERY informative and very timely in our case as we have a rather large app in development that uses many of these features expected to be retired.

This will absolutely change the plan for that development and also the cost to the end users.

Not happy at this point!! Smiley Mad

Typical Microsoft - pull the carpet out from something that is working well.

Thanks for the information!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @rgparisoto,

I agree with @timl's thought almost.

If you have a Office 365 Enterprise E3 license already for your sign account, I think it is not necessary to purchase a PowerApps Plan 2 license.

The Office 365 Enterprise E3 license includes the most of PowerApps functionality. More details about PowerApps for Office 365, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-365

With the Office 365 Enterprise E3 license, you could create an app, and share it with a employee within your Org.

In addition, there are also some limits in the PowerApps for Office 365 licenses. The Office 365 licenses could not Access on-premises data or use premium or custom connectors.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

@v-xida-msft thanks for sharing that link.  Good information!

The issues we see are with the change to the on-premise data that WAS included before and now is changed.

What I don't see is an on-ramp to the next level.  That is to say, if you have Office 365 E3 and the PowerApps plan with that, if you need on-premise access, what is the road to take?  Does one need to purchase a P1 plan at its price just to get that one extra function? Or is there some other "add-on" ability to "up" the license?

Realize this is probably not the forum for this, but hey, someone brought up the subject 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 190 members 6,292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: