cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cg4life09
Level: Powered On

Kiosk app with user login

Hey everyone. 

I am looking into building a kiosk inventory app. I am running into an issue though as the app would probably be run by a service account, yet i have not found a way to track who is actually checking in/out items. 

The idea would be for the kiosk to always display the homepage to the app. When someone chooses to check in/out an item, they would be prompted to sign in. This would then pass the user's name to SharePoint where it would create a new check in/out line that was created by that user. 

Most of my research has resulted in others saying that apps are always run by the current logged in O365 user. How can I implement a kiosk station that still displays a homepage without having a logged in user? Another thought I had was to default to running the app using the service account unless on a specific screen(which would only be accessible by passing through the login screen). Once the check in/out process has completed, the kiosk would revert back to the main page and be run using the service account. 

I have yet to figure out how to put this together though and how I would authenticate users. Any thoughts? Has anyone put together a kiosk app using PowerApps?

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Kiosk app with user login

I don't think that kind of functionality is available currently in PowerApps - at least not with authenticating different users, as this is what logging into PowerApps as the user is doing: authenticating for that user.

If you're not too worried about perfect authentication and Must have it as a kiosk, then I would just use a People-picker and have the User choose themself from a searchable People field with Multiple Selections turned off.

I would then have every new edit (check in or out) trigger a Flow, which then triggers an Approval sent to the user that was selected, that way abuse could be minimised by them having to confirm via Email approval that they logged it. (stopping others from logging under anyone else's name). However, that system also has a loophole in that there's no obligation on them to accept the approval so it could be left in limbo.

If anyone else has a better solution, I'd really like to hear it as this is not the first time this has been asked..

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,772)