cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

LOCATION-BASED SERVICES: No-go on laptops

I keep running into this and I need to know that the PowerApps team is aware/working on it. 

• It is not possible to create apps with CRITICAL location-based services because Location.Latitude and Location.Longitude do NOT work in the browser.

I've had to abondon 3 project requests this month that:

• Search for the nearest hospital, the nearest cross-street, the nearest company asset, etc. based on users Lat/Long because of this.

Its no problem using Azure Maps (or internal) APIs to find these things and bring back some results, but as identified in my tests here, Lat/Long does not work unless device has sensors. This causes my VPN users to appear in a centralized location (where our VPN servers reside) and thus bring back ERRONEOUS results. This is not a good look for things like hospitals, nearest cross-street (for emergency access) and company assets.
I'm advocating for some way to deal with this in PowerApps (choose "Region Settings" or the like) or the removal of Lat/Long capabilities from Browser-based PowerApps (similar to offline storage) until this is addressed.

Please advise.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: LOCATION-BASED SERVICES: No-go on laptops

Hi @ericonline ,

If you still have this issues and confuse, please don't hesitate to 

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards.

Yumia

Super User
Super User

Re: LOCATION-BASED SERVICES: No-go on laptops

Hi @v-yuxima-msft ,
I'm not sure a support request can help me.
It appears the problem is: 

• When using PowerApps on laptop/desktop browser, the INTERNET CONNECTION is used to determine users Lat/Long.
  • For those using a VPN or a non-local internet carrier, the Lat/Long ARE NOT ACCURATE
  • This results in incorrect user location thus INVALIDATING any location-based services.
  • Please see my tests here to prove the issue.

Thank you 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,879)