cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonMeadows
Level 8

Language Locale Problem

I am trying to buld an app to log holidays for users but every time I load up the web designer it forces en-US language and locale.

I really want the date pickers to show dd/mm/yyyy date format but because of en-US it is always mm/dd/yyyy

I have windows 7 set to english UK with US uninstalled.

I have chrome with only english UK installed

I have tried IE 11.

I have checked my user agent Locale in other places and for both browsers it always says en-GB.

I have tried adding ?l=en-GB to the address but that doesn't work either.

Why would powerapps be stuck on en-US and forcing mm/dd/yyyy format even though everywhere it could look for a locale is set to en-GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff AndyPennell
PowerApps Staff

Re: Language Locale Problem

TL;DR - Studio on Windows does not have explicit support for "en-GB", but it does support using it in Text/Value functions (though not DatePicker, yet). This is why Language() returns "en-US" in Britain.

Full version:

The locale-choosing logic is, um, interesting, and varies highly per OS/Browser, out of sad necessity. In the Studio case it is slightly weirder, as Studio is not localized for en-GB (e.g. see "Color"), but I did add "en-GB" to the list of runtime locales (as I am an ex-pat Brit and I wanted an easy test-case when I wrote the globalization code).

In the v640 timeframe the DatePicker can take a locale string, which will solve your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerApps Staff

In the near future the Date PIcker will have a much easier and more flexibile globalization story. However right now it will use the users locale (determined by various browser-and-OS-specific rules). What result does the Language() function display on these systems? If it says "en-GB" then the date picker should be using British date formatting.

SimonMeadows
Level 8

Currently the result of Language() is en-US however in chrome the result of navigator.language in the console is en-GB.

I have noticed that this is only the case while editing the power app.

If I am just running the powerapp in the browser is shows as en-GB.

It seems stange the the editor would see the locale differenlty from the editor.

PowerApps Staff

TL;DR - Studio on Windows does not have explicit support for "en-GB", but it does support using it in Text/Value functions (though not DatePicker, yet). This is why Language() returns "en-US" in Britain.

Full version:

The locale-choosing logic is, um, interesting, and varies highly per OS/Browser, out of sad necessity. In the Studio case it is slightly weirder, as Studio is not localized for en-GB (e.g. see "Color"), but I did add "en-GB" to the list of runtime locales (as I am an ex-pat Brit and I wanted an easy test-case when I wrote the globalization code).

In the v640 timeframe the DatePicker can take a locale string, which will solve your problem.

View solution in original post

CharlieJeit
Level: Powered On

Hi

Really struggling to get my head around the US only date format problem here. I have an app which need to calculate days remaining to the end of year. I use the format string "dd/mm/yyyy" with ther date picker to fix that problem. Running  the app within studio gives the correct value of days remaining 287. However running it on IOS gives the wrong value 846. The data is coming from a Sharepoint list and the date values are in UK format and all is well there.

I can't see where to change the date data or format string to fix the arithmetic.

Also can't understand why something so basic hasn't been fixed yet.

Charlie

CharlieJeit
Level: Powered On

Follow-up to previous port.

Logged into PowerApps today and all the UK style date calulations are displaying the correct answers!

Don't understand what changed - but hopefully all sorted now!

Charlie

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 298 members 3,068 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: