cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Licensing question

Hi there;

I'm hoping to get some clarity on licensing.  We have a bunch of Office 365 users with E3 licenses.  We've been playing with PowerApps, and at the moment are looking probably at Canvas apps with on-prem Sql data (CDS looks great, we just don't have the R&D cycles to go there yet).  We're also hoping to be able to develop these Apps using something akin to proper Dev vs. Prod SDLC approaches.  I think PowerApps Environments are my answer.  But I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions:

1.  Can I still access on-prem Sql data using the E3 license?  I know early on we could (based on some work done last year) but don't know if this is still the case.

2.  What licensing plan do I need to be able to use multiple environments?

3.  Are data connections distinct within environments?  So can I have a Dev environment pointing to my dev on-prem sql data, and a Prod/Publish environment pointing to my prod on-prem data?  And can I move Apps between the two envrionments without anyting breaking if the connection names are consistent?

4.  Does everyone using/consuming the published app need the same licensing level as the creator?  So if (for example) I need a P2 license to use environments, does everyone I deploy the app to need a P2 license as well?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Licensing question

Hello,

1. On-prem will require PowerApps Plan 1 (which will enable access to premium connectors like gateways)

2. Creating an additional environment requires a Plan 2 license

3. not 100% on this one tbh, but I would think since connections are defined per app per environment, that you will be able to have dev/prod. I have a similar dev/prod setup in place but with SPO backend - as long as structure and naming of items within lists etc (tables in your case) is identical, it has worked for me - there are usually one or two minor edits needed for when I haven't got exactly identical names but resolution of them takes a few minutes at most.

4. No they don't need to have a 'creation of environments' P2 plan to have an environment shared with them -  we have only two P2's currently and hundreds on E3's or F1's - I am able to give them permissions to the environment using my P2. Keep in mind above though, you will need them all to have P1's if you're going to use on-prem sql connector (more info on that here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/td-p/187283)

If anyone else has anything to add to this or corrections to what I've said then please feel free - I'm open to suggestions and improvements 🙂

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hello,

1. On-prem will require PowerApps Plan 1 (which will enable access to premium connectors like gateways)

2. Creating an additional environment requires a Plan 2 license

3. not 100% on this one tbh, but I would think since connections are defined per app per environment, that you will be able to have dev/prod. I have a similar dev/prod setup in place but with SPO backend - as long as structure and naming of items within lists etc (tables in your case) is identical, it has worked for me - there are usually one or two minor edits needed for when I haven't got exactly identical names but resolution of them takes a few minutes at most.

4. No they don't need to have a 'creation of environments' P2 plan to have an environment shared with them -  we have only two P2's currently and hundreds on E3's or F1's - I am able to give them permissions to the environment using my P2. Keep in mind above though, you will need them all to have P1's if you're going to use on-prem sql connector (more info on that here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/td-p/187283)

If anyone else has anything to add to this or corrections to what I've said then please feel free - I'm open to suggestions and improvements 🙂

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
seadude
Level 10

Nice write up @iAm_ManCat .

• Another thing to consider is that at this time, ONLY the Default env can access On-Prem data sources.
  • If @jdmillar is only going to use on-prem SQL Server data sources, they may have a challenge with Dev/Prod environments.
    • The way I dev/prod on-prem data sources is to create a copy of my Prod app, work on that in the Default Env, then import it once it passes UAT/etc.

Good luck!

Super User
Super User

Ah! I did not know that the on-prem only worked in Default env! Thanks for the info 🙂

(Thinking about it, that makes so much sense as you don't choose an Env when you set up a gateway)

jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  I feel a bit like I'm trying to hit a moving target, even more than usual, evaluating some of this.....:)

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,434)