cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Licensing question

Hi there;

I'm hoping to get some clarity on licensing.  We have a bunch of Office 365 users with E3 licenses.  We've been playing with PowerApps, and at the moment are looking probably at Canvas apps with on-prem Sql data (CDS looks great, we just don't have the R&D cycles to go there yet).  We're also hoping to be able to develop these Apps using something akin to proper Dev vs. Prod SDLC approaches.  I think PowerApps Environments are my answer.  But I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions:

1.  Can I still access on-prem Sql data using the E3 license?  I know early on we could (based on some work done last year) but don't know if this is still the case.

2.  What licensing plan do I need to be able to use multiple environments?

3.  Are data connections distinct within environments?  So can I have a Dev environment pointing to my dev on-prem sql data, and a Prod/Publish environment pointing to my prod on-prem data?  And can I move Apps between the two envrionments without anyting breaking if the connection names are consistent?

4.  Does everyone using/consuming the published app need the same licensing level as the creator?  So if (for example) I need a P2 license to use environments, does everyone I deploy the app to need a P2 license as well?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Licensing question

Hello,

1. On-prem will require PowerApps Plan 1 (which will enable access to premium connectors like gateways)

2. Creating an additional environment requires a Plan 2 license

3. not 100% on this one tbh, but I would think since connections are defined per app per environment, that you will be able to have dev/prod. I have a similar dev/prod setup in place but with SPO backend - as long as structure and naming of items within lists etc (tables in your case) is identical, it has worked for me - there are usually one or two minor edits needed for when I haven't got exactly identical names but resolution of them takes a few minutes at most.

4. No they don't need to have a 'creation of environments' P2 plan to have an environment shared with them -  we have only two P2's currently and hundreds on E3's or F1's - I am able to give them permissions to the environment using my P2. Keep in mind above though, you will need them all to have P1's if you're going to use on-prem sql connector (more info on that here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/td-p/187283)

If anyone else has anything to add to this or corrections to what I've said then please feel free - I'm open to suggestions and improvements 🙂

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hello,

1. On-prem will require PowerApps Plan 1 (which will enable access to premium connectors like gateways)

2. Creating an additional environment requires a Plan 2 license

3. not 100% on this one tbh, but I would think since connections are defined per app per environment, that you will be able to have dev/prod. I have a similar dev/prod setup in place but with SPO backend - as long as structure and naming of items within lists etc (tables in your case) is identical, it has worked for me - there are usually one or two minor edits needed for when I haven't got exactly identical names but resolution of them takes a few minutes at most.

4. No they don't need to have a 'creation of environments' P2 plan to have an environment shared with them -  we have only two P2's currently and hundreds on E3's or F1's - I am able to give them permissions to the environment using my P2. Keep in mind above though, you will need them all to have P1's if you're going to use on-prem sql connector (more info on that here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/td-p/187283)

If anyone else has anything to add to this or corrections to what I've said then please feel free - I'm open to suggestions and improvements 🙂

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
seadude
Level 10

Nice write up @iAm_ManCat .

• Another thing to consider is that at this time, ONLY the Default env can access On-Prem data sources.
  • If @jdmillar is only going to use on-prem SQL Server data sources, they may have a challenge with Dev/Prod environments.
    • The way I dev/prod on-prem data sources is to create a copy of my Prod app, work on that in the Default Env, then import it once it passes UAT/etc.

Good luck!

Super User
Super User

Ah! I did not know that the on-prem only worked in Default env! Thanks for the info 🙂

(Thinking about it, that makes so much sense as you don't choose an Env when you set up a gateway)

jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  I feel a bit like I'm trying to hit a moving target, even more than usual, evaluating some of this.....:)

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 255 members 5,166 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: