Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Licensing scenario/qualification

Hi there;

I know there are several licensing on here, but I'm looking for some clarification especially with regards to the Oct 2019 changes.  We have an application scenario that would require a PowerApp built for approximately 250 users in our organization.  These users would need access to on-prem Sql Server data.  Reading the licensing requirements (I'm just coming back to this after a preliminary investigation over a year ago), it seems I need to license these users with either the $10/user/app/month or $40 /user/month plans...is that right?  There's no way to leverage on-prem data with my existing O365 E3 licenses any longer?

Thanks in advance,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Licensing scenario/qualification

That is correct, but that didn't change on October 1.  That changed back in February when the On-premises gateway became premium.  At the time existing users were grandfathered in but that expires at the end of this year.  So yes, for that scenario you would need either per app licenses for each user for the one app or per user licenses for as many apps as you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That is correct, but that didn't change on October 1.  That changed back in February when the On-premises gateway became premium.  At the time existing users were grandfathered in but that expires at the end of this year.  So yes, for that scenario you would need either per app licenses for each user for the one app or per user licenses for as many apps as you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@jdmillar 

Correct.  You have the proper understanding of the costs to use SQL.  Additionally, you can still use Excel or the Common Data Service (if you have this licensed) as datasources at no additional cost per user per app.

jdmillar
Level: Powered On

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.  I was afraid that was the answer -- for us, those two changes basically put PowerApps out of the value proposition for our org, at the moment at least.  I had high hopes for this platform (we'd been using Platform by Telerik previously to check some of the same boxes), but I just don't see the value for us at those licensing rates -- from doing some reading, I don't think I'm alone.

Again, thanks as always to this community for providing quick, quality answers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,804)