cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LPlummer
Level: Powered On

Linking Cascading Dropdown Box value/text to 2nd box with a Different Choice Column

I have a Form Powerapps I am needing help with. Basically, I have 2 drop down boxes. The first box contains 4 selectable choices, that have a corresponding SharePoint Choices Column containing the list of choices I want them to choose from. I have the first box working. I can pick one of the four categories needed. 

I need to know how to have to second box display the Choices column that corresponds to the value of the first.

I know this isn't right, but it's the logic I'm trying to get and the best way to say what I'm thinking.

If box1 value or text = person, then, box2 displays person column choices

If that makes any sense

Thanks in advance! 

5 REPLIES 5
HadynM
Level 8

Re: Linking Cascading Dropdown Box value/text to 2nd box with a Different Choice Column

Hi @LPlummer

This is the best video I have seen for a foundation understanding on cascading dropdowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZG2boN7jQ

Hope this helps.

Hadyn

LPlummer

Re: Linking Cascading Dropdown Box value/text to 2nd box with a Different Choice Column

That's actually one of the videos I've copied step by step from.

The only difference I can see is he's using an excel sheet to pull the data, and I need it to pull from columns in the same list on sharepoint. 

HadynM
Level 8

Awesome.

To continue using Shane's example and if the data is usually pretty static, just import the SharePoint list as a collection when the screen becomes visible or the app starts:

ClearCollect(JobTitles, mySPListDataSource)

Then reference the collection for the cascading dropdowns exactly as you would the original datasource.

Using this method I have managed a three-tier cascade that works fast for the end-users.

Cheers

Hadyn

LPlummer

Just confirming, this would also go in the "item" tab for it's function, where I am putting the second dropdown?

HadynM
Level 8

For the example, the ClearCollect goes in the Screen1.OnVisible property.

Screen1.OnVisible = ClearCollect(JobTitles, mySPListDataSource)

The dropdown item values remain the same as the video.

DropDown_Dept.Items = Sort(Distinct(JobTitles,Department),Result)

and

Dropdown2.Items = Distinct(Filter(JobTitles,Department=DropDown_Dept.Selected.Value),JobTitle)

Cheers

Hadyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,748)