cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IrnBruMuffin
Level: Powered On

Local Image loading delay

I have a couple of images that are loaded locally into the app. They aren't even near the first screen it would maybe take the user 3 minutes to get to the screen they're displayed yet the majority of the time it takes alot of time for them to load or sometimes not even at all. 

Anyone had experience with this? Are images loaded into memeory only when called or when the app intially loads? 

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Local Image loading delay

Hi IrnBruMuffin,

By 'loaded locally into the app' do you mean uploaded as part of the app Media Library?

If that's the case, then my experience on the mobile app is slightly different to a browser - the mobile app will download the App package and all media library images the first time the app is loaded and they then seem to be available to the app fairly quickly after that - future app loads just launch the app and the images are immediately available in the app cache.

This is largely because the app cache can be made persistent on a mobile device inside the PowerApps 'container', whereas the app player through the browser renders the app 'online'.  That online space must load the app and it's images every time the app is run, so if you have large images, or your internet link is sometimes a littly slow, you will get a different experience.  Images seem to be loaded only when they're are used on a screen when using the web player.

I haven't tested this, but you can try placing images onto the loading screen and hiding them - this may force the player and/or browser to load them into cache which might speed up loading when you actually display them later.

If you're accessing the images from a source (like OneDrive or SharePoint) then the best way to deal with loading delays is to load them into a collection on startup and then reference the collection in later screens.

Eg: I often use Office365Users photo images, but because our data is a few continents away there is always a lag when loading them.  The first thing I do is collect all the images I need on screen one, after that I reference them in the collection instead of calling Office365users again later.

As always, when using custom uploaded images, ensure you always optimise them beforehand - use a photo editor to reduce size, colour depth and see what format you're saving them as.  

Hope this helps,

RT

IrnBruMuffin
Level: Powered On

By 'loaded locally into the app' do you mean uploaded as part of the app Media Library?

Yes thats what I mean. I assumed as you stated that it would load images on app load though it doesn't seem to be the case. It must be isolated to me and the way i'm handling the images with code.

Thanks for the insight!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @IrnBruMuffin,

Do you need any further help on this?

If your issue has been resolved, then please share out the solution, so that it could help the others who have the similat concern.

And consider mark the posts which is the most helpful as the solution to close this thread.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 78 members 5,056 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: