cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicobuyspe
Level: Powered On

Lookup function giving Invalid Argument Type

Hi

I am fairly new to Powerapps and are struggling with a Lookup Function.

I have created a Viewform with sharepoint list "Hardware" as the datasource. The Viewform should Lookup a text value in the column "Title" and match it with the value displayed in a Datacard on the same screen. If it matches, it should display that record.

Currently my string looks as follow:

LookUp(Hardware, Title.Value = DataCardValue214_1.Text) --> In powerapps "Value", "=" and "Text" is underlined in RED.

The "Title" column is a single line text format and "DataCardValue214_1" is pulled from a different sharepoint list with a lookup column linked to the same "Hardware" list.

How do I fix this?

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Nico

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Lookup function giving Invalid Argument Type

Have you tried this:

LookUp(Hardware, Title = DataCardValue214_1.Text)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
nicobuyspe

Hi 

I have tried it, but to no avail.

nicobuyspe

It appears the issue is with the datacard type. It currently shows as "complex".

I created a text box and made the value of the textbox "datacardvalue214_1" and it is underlined in red and the error message shows: "The property expects Text values, but this rule produces incompatible Control values".

I have also tested the formula by removing the datacardvalue and replacing it with text of one of the records and it works then, so the issue is definitely with the type of datacardvalue.

See below:

LookUp(Hardware, Title = "Yealink T21P")

Any idea how I could get the plain text value of the datacard "datacardvalue214_1" ? 

Thanks

Super User
Super User

What type of control is your data card value (Text box, Combo box, Drop down, date field or something else)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
sachinsoni

having same issue...

i have combo box control.

my complete formula is:

If(LookUp(EmpAndApprover,Approver=DataCardValue11,true), 

red underline in datacardvalue11 

error is invalid argument type

New Error.jpg 

Please help to solve

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,216)