cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evansnook
Level: Power Up

Memory leak when opening apps

So It appears that I have found a neat little memory leak in powerapps

powerapps takes about 1GB RAM to run a small app. If I don't close powerapps and open another app, then powerapps does not deallocate the RAM and now takes up 1.5-2GB.
perhaps powerapps does this so that you can re-open the last app that you used very quickly? false. you can keep switching between 2 apps and the RAM keeps increasing and the load times keep getting longer.

To get around this you just have to close out power apps and wait for all of the memory to deallocate.

19 REPLIES 19
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Memory leak when opening apps

Hi Evansnook,

What device are you using? What’s your OS?

I am running PowerApps desktop Studio on Windows10, when I run an app which has about 20,000 items, the RAM of PowerApps is about 500~600+MB. When I switch between two apps, the RAM will up to 600+MB, but it seems that the load time doesn’t keep getting longer.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SvenV
Level 8

Same problem as I have but with me it goes up to 6GB!!

JRaasumaa
Level 10

@v-yamao-msft wrote:

Hi Evansnook,

What device are you using? What’s your OS?

I am running PowerApps desktop Studio on Windows10, when I run an app which has about 20,000 items, the RAM of PowerApps is about 500~600+MB. When I switch between two apps, the RAM will up to 600+MB, but it seems that the load time doesn’t keep getting longer.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

I would absolutey love to know what environment you MS folks are working in to allow you to have this great performance with PowerApps. There are constant forum posts regarding poor performance and high memory usage and many users, including myself, have had absolutely horrid performance on very high powered hardware and it's getting worse.

The scenario that @evansnook is describing with high memory usage is a constant issue we have been facing as well and the only solution is to completely close the entire editor or web browser before opening any other app to work on.

Our primary app has 30+ screens with multiple galleries etc. and uses 1.5 GB of memory moments after opening a few screens. How your 20,000 item app uses only 500-600mb would be a great mystery to solve as I've never seen that low memory usage in the many months I've been working in this program. After editing a few screens the app will use close to 3GB and need to be closed due to poor performance.

To give you an idea of my specs:

@My work laptop is an i7-6820HQ @ 2.70 GHz with 32GB of memory and my home machine is an i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz with 32GB DDR4 memory (both running Windows 10) and the performance is still terrible.

It would be extrememly beneficial for the PowerApps development team to do some serious optimization.

ales-savli
Level: Powered On

I don't know if this is the sam problem but I have a simmiliar problem. I have an app that is running 24/7 and refreshing data with timer. After a couple of days my app crashes because System does not have enough internal storage. If I check in the Application storage usage (not cache) i saw 7GB!? When I closed the APP (only the selected app - swipe right) it released the storage.

My collection is small and I don't save any data to the device (with savedata or something like this).

I would not like to restart the app every day just so that some hidden memory is cleared!?

ales-savli

I just did a quick test. Everytime I call "Refresh(sharepoint-list-source)" the storage in Android app increases by arround 2MB! And this is never "purged" and just keeps on rising after each refresh. I tried this by creating clean screen and one button which runs the Refresh action.

xzDan
Level 8

Same thing I have spoken about. Refreshing the data and going to and from screens with clearcollect etc. results in the memory going up each time. I have had no reply on this matter at all. It seems most of the real questions regarding performance etc. always get ignored

PowerApps Staff AjaySu
PowerApps Staff

Thanks for reporting this! We are taking a look. Would it be possible for you to send me a PM with a session ID?

ales-savli

Yeah...looks like a noob dev memory leak...

I sent a PM with my SessionID and AppID...I really hope they can do something about it...

Microsoft Employee

@ales-savli When you say storage in Android app, do you mean disk space or memory?  Could you please clarify?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 253 members 5,071 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: