cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gellai_Tamas
Level: Powered On

Modify Drop Down default item & Display text after successful form submission

Hi,

I'd have 2 things to tackle - both of them should be easy but I haven't yet found anything after a few hours of googling...

1. How to change the default item of a drop down?

Now my dropdown list displays the first item of the datasource. How can I change it to text (eg. "Choose country")?

drowpdown.JPG

2. Show a text if the form gets successfully submitted

How can I add text messages to the form which tells about the status of an action (form submitted, form reset etc.)?

Thanks,

Tamás

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Modify Drop Down default item & Display text after successful form submission

Hi @Gellai_Tamas,

We could modify the Default property of the Dropdown to change its Default value, and if this property is not specified, it will show the first item as default.

Value configured with the Dropdown default property should be one item within the dropdown list, if you would like to show Choose country as the default value, then please consider add it into the dropdown list.

For more details, please check:

Dropdown control in PowerApps

For your second question, please first take a look at the article below:

EditForm, NewForm, SubmitFrom, and ResetFrom functions in PowerApps

If the submitform() function runs successfully, it will trigger the form OnSuccess property, we could add a context Variable here, under the OnSuccess property of the EditFrom control, specify:

UpdateContext({ShowSuccess: true})

Then add a Label control, specify the visible property with ShowSuccess,

And Text Property with "Data Submitted successfully!"

After that, specify the following code:

UpdateContext({ShowSuccess: false})

With some Button which would leave this screen.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Modify Drop Down default item & Display text after successful form submission

Hi @Gellai_Tamas,

For second question, remember the OnSuccess Property of the form control? The OnSuccess Label still showing up means the OnSuccess property of the form control has been triggered.

Options that you may consider is:

1. Remove the Updatecontext code from the OnSuccess property,

2. Add Updatecontext({OnSuccess:False}) before any option that would be considered to use after the form has been submitted.

Question 3,

Try to change the formula as below:

If(Value(DataCardValue22.ProductID)=1;"litres";"tonnes")

Regards,

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Gellai_Tamas,

We could modify the Default property of the Dropdown to change its Default value, and if this property is not specified, it will show the first item as default.

Value configured with the Dropdown default property should be one item within the dropdown list, if you would like to show Choose country as the default value, then please consider add it into the dropdown list.

For more details, please check:

Dropdown control in PowerApps

For your second question, please first take a look at the article below:

EditForm, NewForm, SubmitFrom, and ResetFrom functions in PowerApps

If the submitform() function runs successfully, it will trigger the form OnSuccess property, we could add a context Variable here, under the OnSuccess property of the EditFrom control, specify:

UpdateContext({ShowSuccess: true})

Then add a Label control, specify the visible property with ShowSuccess,

And Text Property with "Data Submitted successfully!"

After that, specify the following code:

UpdateContext({ShowSuccess: false})

With some Button which would leave this screen.

Regards,

Michael

Highlighted
Gellai_Tamas

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Thanks a lot for your help!

#1 - Dropdown default

This means there is no other solution to change the default value of the Dropdown? To add a "Choose country" record intpo my DB table is not an elegant solution, I might end up with having "Choose country" records in my DB if the user misunderstands something... 🙂

Do you happen to know if MS is working on it and if new options here will be released in the future?

#2 - Showing texts

Thanks, it worked! But what if I have more form buttons and texts should be change based on which button the user clicked?

I have a "New" button to open a new form, a "Reset" button to reset it and of course a "Submit" button. This implicates different scenarios eg.: 

1. Guy submits then want to add another record so clicks on Reset. The previous text ("Data has been submitted.") should disappear and some "Form has been reset" should appear.

2. Then he/she clicks on "New" - reset text disappears and some "Please add your new records." appears.

etc.

I've tried using If and Switch functions here without any success. What is the framework to tackle such a multidependent situation?

+1 Switch text based on chosen Dropdown item (I thought I wouldn't open a new post for this as this fits more or less well into here)  

I have a Dropdown with different commodities. Their unit of measurement differs (sugar measured in tonnes, neutral spirit measured in litres etc.). The question is how to add a dynamic label next to the Dropdown list that changes based on which commodity the user has chosen?

Thanks,

Tamás

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Gellai_Tamas,

1. For the dropdown control, there is an idea submitted:

Drop down control has no blank option

Please add your comments and upvote it if it also meet your requirements.

2. If you would like to display several texts (better one label for each text) based on the button control, then sepcify multiple Variables to match the Label controls, use the UpdateContext() function to change the Variables' value with the Button OnSelect property,

For example, under the Reset Button, we would like to display Text "From has been reset" in Label2, specify One Variable (Reset1) for Visible property of Label2, then under the OnSelect property of the Reset Button, add the following code:

UpdateContext({Reset1:true,ShowSuccess:false,ShowNew:false})

3. For the Label to show dropdown selected value, specify the Text property of the Label control with:

Dropdown.selected.value

Regards,

Michael

Gellai_Tamas

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

1. Upvoted.

2. Thanks, it works - almost. 2 buttons are fine but one shows another button's text as well.

buttons and texts.JPG

OnSelect properties are as follows:

SubmitBtn: SubmitForm(UsageForm) & UpdateContext({Reset1:false;ShowSuccess:true;ShowNew:false})

ResetBtn: ResetForm(UsageForm) & UpdateContext({Reset1:true;ShowSuccess:false;ShowNew:false})

NewBtn: NewForm(UsageForm) & UpdateContext({Reset1:false;ShowSuccess:false;ShowNew:true})

Labels' Visible properties call the right variable: Reset1, ShowSuccess, ShowNew.

Any idea why this happens?

3. Sorry, I might have been unclear. I don't want to add back the selected value of the dropdown item, I'd like to show the corresponding unit of measurement. So user chooses "Sugar" for instance as a commodity from the dropdown, then text next to the dropdown should be "tonnes". If he/she chooses "Natural Spirit", text should be "litres" etc. So label here would change dynamically.

I use this code for the label's Text property:

If(Value(DataCardValue22.ProductID)=1;Value(Label4)="litres";Value(Label4)="tonnes")

where

DataCardValue22 is the selected dropdown item. Dropdown works from a database where there are 2 columns: ProductID and ProductName. It uses ProductID (number) but shows ProductName (text). Label4 is the text I want to show to the user.

The error I get is: "Compared values don't have the same type (left side is number, right side is text)." It can be a logical or syntactical error - or rather the first as I think the syntax is OK.

Could you please suggest the right code?

Thanks,

Tamás

MelindaK
Level 8

Hi @Gellai_Tamas

Regarding adding a default option to your drop down I have a workaround which I had to come up with for one of my scenarions.

In my case I have a SQL connection and in order to be able to add a new option, but witouth adding it in the database I have created a Collection and used the Collection on the drop down items.

For example, on the OnVisible property of the screen I have

ClearCollect(cEmployee, '[dbo].[Employee]');
Collect(cEmployee, {EmployeeNumber: 0, Forenames: "- Please Select -"})

- where the first line creates the collection and the second one adds a new row to it with my custom record.

Then on the Items property of the drop down I have the collection instead of the database table: cEmployee.Forenames.

Hope this helps 🙂 

MelindaK
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Gellai_Tamas,

For second question, remember the OnSuccess Property of the form control? The OnSuccess Label still showing up means the OnSuccess property of the form control has been triggered.

Options that you may consider is:

1. Remove the Updatecontext code from the OnSuccess property,

2. Add Updatecontext({OnSuccess:False}) before any option that would be considered to use after the form has been submitted.

Question 3,

Try to change the formula as below:

If(Value(DataCardValue22.ProductID)=1;"litres";"tonnes")

Regards,

Michael

Gellai_Tamas

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Thanks, both worked. Just one addition to the code you suggested: it needed a .Selected as well, so the right code is:

If(Value(DataCardValue22.Selected.ProductID)=1;"litres";"tonnes") 

Dear @MelindaK,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure it should work but I have no success with it no matter how I try.

Any chance you can provide a step by step guide? Maybe I'm missing an important step here.

Thanks,

Tamás

MelindaK
Level 8

@Gellai_Tamas sorry for my late reply,

As I have previously explained on the OnVisible property of the screen where the drop down is I have

ClearCollect(cEmployee, '[dbo].[Employee]');
Collect(cEmployee, {EmployeeNumber: 0, Forenames: "- Please Select -"})

- where first line creates the collection - cEmployee is the collection name and ''[dbo].[Employee]'' is the name of the SQL table I want to save there

- and the second line adds a new entry to the collection (this will be your default item)

Then on the dropdown I have set the following:

- Items property: cEmployee  (the name of your custom collection) - you can also add here filters, sorters, etc.

- Deafault property: "- Please Select -"

NOTE! In my case, as I have the items ordered ascending, setting the default value to only 'Please Select' meant that when the user opens the drop down it will start from the position of the 'Please Select', hence I have added the '-' to force it to be the first item in the drop down.

Hope this helps 🙂 

MelindaK
MK1

Hi,

In my screnario,

I need to get values into the dropdown from a swagger custom connetion.

Is there any way to get values from swagger into a dropdown.

i tried to get user infromation using custom connection, but here i'm trying to get more than 10 values into a dropdown using a custom swagger connection.

Please let e know if anyone have tried this.

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 406 members 6,135 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: