cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen1606
Level: Powered On

Multi Level Org Chart

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me create a multi-level org chart. I've created what I want to achieve in PowerPoint (image below).visualPath.pngThe columns in the datasource are Name, ID and Parent ID (PID), with the PID telling me where I need to branch off at. 

I tried nesting a gallery within another gallery and that seemed to get me along the right lines but I was only able to nest two galleries. 

Is this possible in PowerApps? I always say anything is possible, but I'm really struggling with ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Re: Multi Level Org Chart

closing this thread as it is a duplicate. 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@Stephen1606 

Oof!!

IMHO - That's going to be a hard one to put together in PowerApps!

You could do this in one horizontal gallery with an internal vertical gallery.

Challenges are:

1) Some what easy - You would really need (to try and make it easier) a "generation" for your data.  This way you can at least group the items by their generation and sort in the order of the generation line.

2) Super challenge - lines from one level to the next will be VERY difficult to produce. Defining lines that are coordinated to rows within a gallery are going to be tough because there is no idea what row you are in within a gallery.  Although you could turn on and off "pre defined" lines from cell to cell (and you would have to do that with some calculation within each generation), it would be unreliable to assume you could match it properly from another generation.  Consider your final Great-Great Grandchild 1...if the PID of that was 633, you would need that on the second row.  That would involve some complexity in the items for the internal vertical gallery.

Not saying this can't be done, just saying that it's going to be a big challenge to do.

Possible alternatives - Image:

1) Find an online resource that can generate an Image like this from a set of data, then connect to that as an image in your App

2) Create the org chart as an image in another tool and store it to be used within your app as an image.  You would have to update as needed.

Perhaps some others on here will chip in some ideas, but this is my experience with PowerApps.

I hope it is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

closing this thread as it is a duplicate. 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,009)