cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simms7400
Level 8

Multi-Select ComboBox - how to read back in values?

Hi Folks -

I have a SP table populated with my Master Data Elements called "rdInvestments". In that tables, are additional columns (attributes) for each data element. One of them is "OrphanDesignation" and it's a text field.

Therefore, I have added that field to my EditForm and it's called "Regulatory Designation".  Now comes the tricky part.  I added a multi select ComboBox (ComboBox4) to this data card and included all of the applicable choices in the Items property.

card.jpg

Reg.jpg

Next, my target application requires the values to be delimited with a "comma" therefore in DataCardValue78, I have this formula and it's working great!

Mid(Concat(ComboBox4.SelectedItems, Value & ", "), 1, Len(Concat(ComboBox4.SelectedItems, Value & ", ")) - 2)

This works great for a net new data element and apply these Regulatory Designation values.  Howevever, when an end user wants to make a change request and change Regulatory Designation values that were previously submitted, they are obviously not showing up in the EditForm.

Is there a way I can read back in the values of "Reglaroty Designation" into the CombBox4? this poses two isseus becaiuse 1, the ComboBox is not directly connected to the SP list and 2, I think that fact they are comma delimited wont allow them to be read back into the ComboBox (if they could).

As an example, if an end user intiaited a change request on the this data element (PFI-000124-00162), I need to read back the Regularoty Designation values, highlighted:

save.jpg

Is there a way to achedive this?  Thank you!

f

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Multi-Select ComboBox - how to read back in values?

@simms7400 

Yes, this is fairly easy to implement.  In your DataCardValue78 DefaultSelectedItems property, set the formula to the following:

RenameColumns(Split(ThisItem.RegulatoryDesignation, ","), "Result", "Value")

This will split the value in the field by its commas and return a table with a Result column (that's what Spilt does).  The trick is that we just need to rename that column to "Value" because that's what the ComboBox wants (based on your Items property).

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@simms7400 

Yes, this is fairly easy to implement.  In your DataCardValue78 DefaultSelectedItems property, set the formula to the following:

RenameColumns(Split(ThisItem.RegulatoryDesignation, ","), "Result", "Value")

This will split the value in the field by its commas and return a table with a Result column (that's what Spilt does).  The trick is that we just need to rename that column to "Value" because that's what the ComboBox wants (based on your Items property).

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

simms7400
Level 8

@RandyHayes 

Thank you! So upon reading your suggestion, I'm noticed something. DataCardValue78 doesn't have a "DefaultSelectedItems" property, only my ComboBox4 does.   Did you mean to put it there? If so, when I do put it there, it works great!

As usual, thank you so much, Randy. HAve a great rest of your weekend!

Super User
Super User

@simms7400 

Oops...yep, just noticed on the picture - yes, ComboBox4

Sorry about the confusion. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,272)