cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juphi17
Level: Powered On

Multiple checkboxes control?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you insert a combobox with checkboxes inside and have all of them visible on the screen.  In InfoPath, you can have a list of items and increase the height of the control to show all the items and have checkboxes beside each item to show that it's multi-select. 

In PowerApps, there only seems to be a drop-down menu control with no indication that you can select multiple items. This is poor UX design.  All of the other Microsoft applications have this standard control (or at least multiple checkboxes), so it's baffling that PowerApps doesn't (at least not in the standard controls dialog). This in addition to other basic controls and functionality missing is making the switch from InfoPath/SharePoint Forms to PowerApps pretty frustrating.

Does anyone know how to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Multiple checkboxes control?

@juphi17 

Comboboxes do not have the capability to hold checkboxes.  Nor does any other standard control type.  However, ComboBoxes can select multiple items and do show all items selected at the top of the control.  They just can't indicate what's been picked in the list.

If you want to create something custom perhaps this tutorial will help

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multi-select-pattern-on-sharepoint-lists/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@juphi17 

Comboboxes do not have the capability to hold checkboxes.  Nor does any other standard control type.  However, ComboBoxes can select multiple items and do show all items selected at the top of the control.  They just can't indicate what's been picked in the list.

If you want to create something custom perhaps this tutorial will help

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multi-select-pattern-on-sharepoint-lists/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Highlighted
juphi17
Level: Powered On

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need.

Though, it's super annoying the amount of work involved for doing something as simple as this. Especially since SharePoint Lists natively already handle multi-select checkboxes in their default list forms, but when customizing with PowerApps it's not available.  There should be a 'checkbox group' control like InfoPath had for multi-select columns, or at least provide the option for it, especially since that's how SharePoint does it.

Super User
Super User

@juphi17 

I like that control too and it would be great to see in PowerApps!  I am secretly hoping some PowerApps genius makes a component and adds it to the community gallery.

Best of luck building your app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,855)