cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to powerapps

Hey guys!! I just started using powerapps and I had a question before going to far. I am a used vehicle dealership amd we use various tools like CRM, desking solutions to calculate financing deals, automotive reconditioning and service department, etc. Those systems cost a fortune, around 2500$ a month, and don't fully intergrate with each other. I have a HTML, Javascript and CSS basic, and my goal was to create an webapp, but i feel like powerapps is much more powerful for the job.

How far can we go on powerapps? Do any of you know any course to learn the basics of powerapps ?

Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndySid
Level 8

Re: New to powerapps

Hi,

I have been writing software for 25 + years. PowerApps is simply put "fantastic". From novice to expert, its easy to use and very powerful/flexible. Think of the old Microsoft Access on steroids, and best of all its an app for remote users. Data can be stored on many platforms, I mainly use Sharepoint and SQLServer. Low cost, can be part of Office 365 licencing. 
learning, start with googling example videos, a few hours and the basics come quckly.

This guy is great: Shane Young

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_OGRP8BYvtGB8eZdPG6Ng
Here to help (:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndySid
Level 8

Hi,

I have been writing software for 25 + years. PowerApps is simply put "fantastic". From novice to expert, its easy to use and very powerful/flexible. Think of the old Microsoft Access on steroids, and best of all its an app for remote users. Data can be stored on many platforms, I mainly use Sharepoint and SQLServer. Low cost, can be part of Office 365 licencing. 
learning, start with googling example videos, a few hours and the basics come quckly.

This guy is great: Shane Young

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_OGRP8BYvtGB8eZdPG6Ng
Here to help (:

View solution in original post

Mike2500
Level 8

I appreciate the optimism of the other person who responded so far, but I'll provide a counter-perspective. But first, yes power apps can be great. But it can also be slow, buggy, and non-intuitive. Virtually every time I use it I find another bug or another problem. Search this board for the keyword "performance" and do some reading. Perhaps also check on threads like this one, which was posted a few hours ago, where people had working apps that simply stopped working due to an update to the service.

PowerApps is designed for power users, but it requires a developer skillset to create non-trivial apps. If you already have that developer skillset, you'll be able to create a faster, better app using standard web technologies.

Here's one quick example: let's say you open an existing app with 10 screens that uses a variable. How do you know where that variable is being used? Simple: open up screen one, and check every property of screen one that doesn't have a default value (properties with custom values should show up in bold in the list). Then, one by one, click on every control on screen one and check their properties. Then, go to screen two and repeat.  this probably doesn't matter too much for a trivial app with three screens. But a larger app? This is a huge problem, and it's a problem that doesn't exist in other developer tools like visual studio (or even notepad).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,476)