cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tianaranjo
Level 8

NewForm not creating new record in List

In one of my early apps, the method for submitting and editing data via the app were performed via SubmitForm(frmNewEntry) and EditForm(frmEditForm) formula of OnSelect. (Patch was not applied).

Now that the app is 'Live' and being utilized, users have requested to include an additional column from the SharePoint Datasource.  I have added the field from the datasource and saved my changes.  However, when a user enters data into the new field, on a new form via the app or the customized form, the data is not being saved back to the datasource.  Interestingly, when I add a new record via the SharePoint customize form, the initial refreshed view of the SharePoint list, shows the data that was added in the new field.  However, after a second or a refresh, that data 'disappears'.

Any thoughts why it it isn't picking up the new field?

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: NewForm not creating new record in List

I'm having a similar problem with Patch. Looks like @TerrificTerri is having a similar problem today too. 

My issue:

• Created a list ~2 months ago
  • Been iterating my app while connected to the list as a Data Source; adding removing columns, etc. 
  • Today I went to try Patch and PowerApps is NOT seeing some of the columns in my List. 

Here is a screenshot of the app NOT seeing the "lat_long" column which is clearly in the list. There are a couple of others its not "seeing" either. 

When I delete the columns from the Patch statement, it patches just fine. 

patchIssue.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tianaranjo,

Could you please share a bit more about your app's configuration?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. 

Please take a try to refresh the SP list data source manually within your app, then try your app again to check if the issue is solved.

In addition, you could also take a try to remove the SP list data source from your app and re-add it, then try your app again to check if the issue still exists.

If the issue still exists, you could consider take a try to re-create your app and add the SP list as as data source into it, then check if the issue is solved.

You could also take a try to use Patch function to submit data into your SP list. The formula as beow:

Patch(datasource,Defaults(datasource),{Title:"",Column1:"",Column2:"",...ColumnN:""})

More details about the Patch function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Patch function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Hello @v-xida-msft and @tianaranjo

I have followed your instructions: 

1. Checked to see if data source is "Connected" 
    1. Yes it is
  2. Refreshed Data Source
    1. No change
  3. Removed and re-added Data Source
    1. No change
  4. Recreate an app that is in production use:
    1. Not an option
  5. Use Patch function
    1. I am using Patch function already. That is what is failing. 

How else can we further debug this? 

Thank you

Super User
Super User

Confirmed a work around thanks to @tianaranjo

1. add a new column to the Sharepoint list with a unique name
    1. Example: "lat_long1"
    2. 2018-06-26_11-41-30.png
  2. Refresh Data Source
  3. Select new column from the Data Source to add it to your app
    1. 2018-06-26_11-44-42.png
  4. Change Patch function to include the new column "lat_long1"
  5. Now Patch function works

@PowerApps Team, please consider this an issue with PowerApps - Sharepoint integration. The above is a workaround, not a fix. The original column name cannot be used even if its deleted. 

tianaranjo
Level 8

@ericonline

Thanks for all the follow-up and screen shots!  And, happy the work around worked 🙂

I hope this is a bug that gets ironed out in the future. It is the first time I have come across this issue.

@v-xida-msft - Thank you for the time you took to reply!

tianaranjo
Level 8

@v-xida-msft

I wanted to raise this issue again as I don't think the workaround is a viable solution.  I now have the same issue with another app (described in initial post approx. 3 weeks ago).  I connected to a SP list as my datasource and was submitting both New and Edited data utilizing the Patch function.  

Today I added a column from the SP list and modified the Patch function to account for the new field.  The Patch function errors (underlining full statement in red).  So, I experimented and changed the OnSelect function of the 'New' screen to SubmitForm(frmNew) and it works fine.  

Same is true for the 'Edit' screen - when OnSelect changed to SubmitForm,it works fine.

With that in mind, SubmitForm will work but I would like to know why Patch isn't working when a new column is brought in from the datasource -- any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,965)