cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Recovery from Studio Crash

Twice now I've had Studio tank while busy with something.

Before, I could reasonably expect to recover my file when re-launching studio, with perhaps just the last action unimplemented.

Now however, I get the option to recover, but when I hit recover it sits and thinks for a few seconds before doing nothing.

The first time this happened I lost about an hour.  Now I try save often, so I only lost about 15 minutes - but why should I have to?

I have the latest version of the Studio App running on Windows 10 laptop.

8 REPLIES 8
PowerApps Staff carlosag
PowerApps Staff

Re: No Recovery from Studio Crash

Apologies for the inconvenience it is causing. We are working on improving this, both improving the reliability to avoid crashes, as well as having new features around save that should improve this. However, in the meantime if you could share here the session id in Studio I can try to find out more information and see if this issue is being mitigated.

To get the session id you can go in Studio to the Account Details and click the "Session details" link. that will show a Session ID: {hex numbers} which if you paste in here I can investigate more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carlos,

The session ID changes for each session and I must have relaunched the studio app a few times since this post....

It hasn't crashed during my current session so will the current session ID help you?

Kind regards,

Russel

8fd6443c-e981-49d4-fc05-489b97a154dd

PowerApps Staff carlosag
PowerApps Staff

Yes, I was able to find the session that crashed but didn't find a lot of details about that, I can see it happened after undoing a deletion of a control that was added and then deleted. Will keep an eye on that.

If you get another crash if you could send me at carlosag @ microsoft . com the information that you can find in the Event Viewer at:

Run: eventvwr.exe

Go to Application and Services Logs => Microsoft => Windows => AppHost => Admin

And you will likely see an error with something that includes Microsoft.MSApps in the text.

And I can look more into that.

Thanks,

Carlos

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlosag: Here you go;

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-AppHost
Date: 02 Apr 2017 5:22:03 PM
Event ID: 127
Task Category: (8)
Level: Error
Keywords: AppHost
User: *******
Computer: *******
Description:
Application <App> terminated itself by calling terminateApp API. Application details are as follows. Display Name:<PowerApps>, AppUserModelId: <Microsoft.MSApps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App> Package Identity:<Microsoft.MSApps_2.0.600.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe> PID:<9800>. The API was called from the context of the following HTML document: </default.html>. Error object passed to terminateApp carried the following details Description:<> and Stack Trace:-
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-AppHost" Guid="{98E0765D-8C42-44A3-A57B-760D7F93225A}" />
<EventID>127</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>8</Task>
<Opcode>12</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-02T15:22:03.955234100Z" />
<EventRecordID>60</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="9800" ThreadID="9664" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>*******</Computer>
<Security UserID="*******" />
</System>
<UserData>
<WWATerminateApplication xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/wwahost/events">
<DisplayName>PowerApps</DisplayName>
<ApplicationName>App</ApplicationName>
<AppUserModelId>Microsoft.MSApps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App</AppUserModelId>
<PackageFullName>Microsoft.MSApps_2.0.600.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe</PackageFullName>
<ProcessId>9800</ProcessId>
<ErrorDescription>
</ErrorDescription>
<DocumentFile>/default.html</DocumentFile>
<StackTrace>
</StackTrace>
</WWATerminateApplication>
</UserData>
</Event>

SessionID for next run following crash:

d2f64440-a8b5-18a2-13c9-bbf801f34a6f

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this seems to be happening at least two or three times a day - sometimes I suspect a circular reference type of unhandled exception, sometimes just a lookup to something that doesn't exist - whatever the reason, the real issue here is that there is no recovery.

When I relaunch PowerApps it tells me it has a recovery file, and when I select recover it says "loading" and then defaults to the Open screen which is there on Launch.

So, am I alone here - is this something specific to my build or environment, or does anyone else experience this?

ColinI
Level: Powered On

Is it that there is no recovery available from PowerApps stored locally (not in the cloud)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct - although I'm not even sure there's a recovery option for desktop studio crashes that is cloud based, but local nothing.

I used to get a message saying something like 'do you want to recover the file' and if you click on 'recover' nothing would happen.

Now I don't even get that message if something crashes....just learnt to save often

ColinI
Level: Powered On

Hmmm.  I wonder what the message is supposed to represent then.  Still, pity.  And I too have rediscovered the old-school lesson of "save often".Smiley Frustrated

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,956)