cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Normal Column Names for Sharepoint Lists Used in power Apps

I have the same issue now?? - How come this is not solved yet?! 

MelindaK
Level 8

Hi @kleach

What you are seeing are the columns internal name - which gets transformed into those weird names if they have special characters like space, "_", etc. One way to overcome this is to create the column without those characters and then change the name after the column has been created.

For example, I have created 2 columns:

1. "WeirdName _ 1" and it got the internal name of "Weird_x0020_Name_x0020___x0020_1".

2. "NormalName" and its internal name stayed as "NormalName"

Once the columns have been created, I went back and edited the "NormalName" column to "Normal _ Name" and checked in a PowerApp - the name there stayed as "NormalName" (because after the column has been created, if it is renamed the internal name will stay the same).

So this is not something that can be controlled form the PowerApp side, but from the SharePoint site when the columns are created.

Hope this helps 🙂 

MelindaK
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey @Anonymous, did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue right now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Check my reply here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Collection-column-names-not-displaying-correctly/m-p/51278#M21380

In short: To have the same names appear in PowerApps like you have in your SharePoint List you have to create columns through list settings and not on the list itself by clicking add columns.

mliuag
Level: Power Up

It seems that there is always going to be some internal naming needed to manage conflicts in SharePoint against other columns.  It seems that internal name is more closely matched the display name when columns are added by List Settings versus Add Columns.  If you add Columns using the Quick Edit, the names then really take on a ramdom name.  Why cannot Power BI utilize the Display name?  I understand the API uses the internal name, but cannot something be done to capture the display name?

PS eliminating space and special characters in Column Names helps the changes SharePoint makes to the internal name.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,787)