cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edwin-Abdalian
Level 10

October 1 licensing and Dynamics 365 app for outlook

Dynamics 365 app for outlook is available for CDS. I was excited about it until I discovered that when you install this app, it actually creates a model-driven app in your environment. This app is not customizable and there we go! one of your two allowed model-driven/Canvas apps is already consumed by having this app.

why should we care about all these things instead of focusing on creating apps?

Please someone tell me that I'm wrong.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: October 1 licensing and Dynamics 365 app for outlook

I think you are confusing the new App licensing with the ongoing Dynamics 365 licensing.  If you have a Dyanmaics 365 license that includes PowerApps then you are not limited to only two apps. You can create as many Model driven/canvas apps as you like if they extend Dynamics.  There is a new App licensing model where you can buy a standalone license that covers one App (an app in this case can be a composite made up of a model driven and a canvas app.) But the new App licensing model isn't needed if you already have Dynamics licensing for PowerApps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Edwin-Abdalian ,

Yeah, you are right. The "Dynamics 365 app for outlook" (Model-Driven app) would count toward the 2 apps limit in the Per App license which will be coming next month (Since October 1, 2019).

Any one Model-Driven app listed in your PowerApps web portal (https://make.powerapps.com) would be counted toward the 2 apps limit in the Per App license which will be coming next month (Since October 1, 2019).

If you still want to create another canvas app or Model-Driven app, you may need to purchase another  $10 license plan.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I think you are confusing the new App licensing with the ongoing Dynamics 365 licensing.  If you have a Dyanmaics 365 license that includes PowerApps then you are not limited to only two apps. You can create as many Model driven/canvas apps as you like if they extend Dynamics.  There is a new App licensing model where you can buy a standalone license that covers one App (an app in this case can be a composite made up of a model driven and a canvas app.) But the new App licensing model isn't needed if you already have Dynamics licensing for PowerApps.

Edwin-Abdalian
Level 10

We don't have a dynamics 365 license. I want to get the Per app license for my client ($10), and with that I'll get 2 apps (canvas and/or model driven).

I can use "Dynamics 365 app for outlook" with PowerApps, no need to have D365 license. The name of the app is misleading, may be they should have renamed it to "CDS app for outlook". https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-the-powerapp-that-brings-common-data-service-...

Initially my plan was to create a model-driven app and also  a canvas app for my client, by purchasing the $10 license in October. But now I want to also use the Dynamics 365 apps for outlook (CDS app for outlook). as I mentioned in my previous post, when you install that Add-in, it creates a model-driven app in your environment. this means that now I have 2 model-driven apps and 1 canvas app and I need to pay another $10.

so the question is that, does the "Dynamics 365 app for outlook" counts toward the 2 apps limit in the Per App licensing model?

App for outlook.PNG

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Edwin-Abdalian ,

Yeah, you are right. The "Dynamics 365 app for outlook" (Model-Driven app) would count toward the 2 apps limit in the Per App license which will be coming next month (Since October 1, 2019).

Any one Model-Driven app listed in your PowerApps web portal (https://make.powerapps.com) would be counted toward the 2 apps limit in the Per App license which will be coming next month (Since October 1, 2019).

If you still want to create another canvas app or Model-Driven app, you may need to purchase another  $10 license plan.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Sorry, I assumed you had a Dynamics license since you wanted to use an App that is designed for use with Dyanmics.  In your situation you would be correct and it would require 2 app licenses.  Also, be aware that there are some limitations on certain CDS entities that are used by CRM, like Leads.  Make sure that the CDS App for Outlook will do what you want without a Dynamics license before you commit to using it.

Edwin-Abdalian
Level 10

Thank you both for confirming it.

Is it possible to request this app not to be counted as one of the mode-driven apps? can we request and vote for it so the business owners can hear our voice?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You can assign a Per App license to whatever application and user you want to assign it to.  But without the license the Outlook App won't work.  If you mean can you convince MS not to consider this a Model driven app for licensing purposes, I doubt it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 278 members 5,448 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: