cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quigley
Level: Powered On

Opening link in PowerApps directly to Client's Excel Application

I am running data from a SharePoint library in a gallery and want to open the excel documents in the client's Excel application because of the Macro's that don't work in excel online? I am using Launch(ThisItem.'Link to Item') and it only opens in Excel online. Tried using Launch("ms-excel: ofe|u|"+ThisItem.'Link to Item')... but no luck... Is there another way to hardcode this to open directly in the clients Excel Application? Any other suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quigley

Re: Opening link in PowerApps directly to Client's Excel Application

@leyburn19 Thanks for the clarification! However, I still needed them to be able to open up the file in excel directly in the PowerApp. 

@v-monli-msft thanks for the feedback but I didn't have the permissions you were recommending.

In the end, I came up with another solution. I added another column to my SharePoint list called 'ExcelLink' then for the data in that column I added 'ms-excel: ofe|u|' at the beginning of the document link. You can get the document link by opening the document in excel and clicking on 'file' then 'copy path'.

Then in the PowerApp, I created a button with the OnSelect as 'Launch(ThisItem.ExcelLink)'... and WALLA! It opens in Excel directly from PowerApps.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
leyburn19
Level 10

Does the client have access to the SP list? All you need to do is do an export from the list to create the excel file,  then in the Data Query properties to teh excel file to update on opening.  If they have access to the list then it will update automatically.  You can do this with filtered SP lists as well so you only see what is in the filtred list etc

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Quigley,

This happens because that PowerApps only using the ThisItem.'Link to Item' to launch the excel. And by default in SharePoint library, this link will open in excel online. So the problem is from the SharePoint side, not PowerApps. To achieve this, you could try to learn how to make Excel open in application not browser by default in SharePoint. 

You might want to post another thread in SharePoint community here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=sharepoint%2Csharepoint

I have tried to find a solution, here a documentation talking about how to do this in SharePoint 2013:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/webappsserver/set-the-default-open-behavior-for-browser-enabled-doc...

A blog about how to achieve this in SharePoint online:

https://sharepointmaven.com/office-online-sharepoint-onedrive/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Quigley

Hi @leyburn19,

Yes, the client does have access to the SP list/library. Can you explain what you were describing about 'exporting from the list' in more detail? And can you give more detail on using the data query properties?

Note that when clicking on the links directly from the SP library the documents will open up directly in Excel (not online).

Thanks!

Highlighted
Quigley

Hi @v-monli-msft,

Thanks for the info, however, I had already made the changes to SharePoint to force the documents to open in the Excel application. I don't have the admin rights to do the cmdlet option. 

Do you have any other suggestions on how to connect the two? I was kind of at a loss when the documents will open correctly in SharePoint but as soon as I connect them in the app the link opens up in Excel online.

Thanks!

leyburn19
Level 10

Using Internet Explorer not chrome,  go to your SP list.  On the List Tab you can select Export to Excel.  Follow the prompts and export your list (here you can do that export based on whatever the view columns and filters are)

In the excel document go to the data tab.  Select Query to open query properties.  Now you can set the poperties to update the spreadsheet based on any changes to SP when it is open 

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Thanks for your help with this thread @leyburn19 and @v-monli-msft 

@Quigley can you review the latest reply and advise if it solves your problem?

@TopShelf-MSFT

Quigley

@leyburn19 Thanks for the clarification! However, I still needed them to be able to open up the file in excel directly in the PowerApp. 

@v-monli-msft thanks for the feedback but I didn't have the permissions you were recommending.

In the end, I came up with another solution. I added another column to my SharePoint list called 'ExcelLink' then for the data in that column I added 'ms-excel: ofe|u|' at the beginning of the document link. You can get the document link by opening the document in excel and clicking on 'file' then 'copy path'.

Then in the PowerApp, I created a button with the OnSelect as 'Launch(ThisItem.ExcelLink)'... and WALLA! It opens in Excel directly from PowerApps.

View solution in original post

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Thanks for the follow up @Quigley and I'm glad to hear you found a solution!

CraigPower

@Quigley Does the version of Word or the browser version matter for this?
I have no issue opening from this link on my end, but I have users that get an error stating Office didn't understand the command.
I am on Word O362 and they are on earlier versions of Office. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,191)