cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDub
Level: Powered On

PATApp Fail

When I launch PATApp, I get this errror message in a red box at the top of the screen:

Failed to load Contacts. The specified record was not found. Server response: Failed to read metadata from file source. Response from the end service is : Not Found
clientRequestID: 86904720-7db2-477b-beaf-3dfc1c6aa825 serviceRequestID: 86904720-7db2-477b-beaf-3dfc1c6aa825; 86904720-7db2-477b-beaf-3dfc1c6aa825

When I get to the third screen in PATApp ("Basics"). there are no controls available anywhere to edit the properties of the objects in the exercise, and consequently, no way to advance to the next screen. There is no in-app help. There is no online help. There is no documentation.

When I originally tried to post this forum message including a .png screen shot of the error message, I got the following error
Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
• There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.
Which of course I did… several times. More fails.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: PATApp Fail

Hi @GDub 

With regards to the first question, it sounds as though PowerApps cannot find the Excel file that's associated with your app. This can happen, for example, if there's no personal or business OneDrive account associated with your login.

To resolve this issue, I would suggest that you recreate the app and choose the option to manually select the location where you want to save your Excel file. You could choose to use Google Drive or Dropbox rather than OneDrive, which may work out to be more reliable in your situation.

Regarding your second question, if you carry out the tasks in the actual designer, the Next button will appear which will then allow you to progress to the next screen. For example, I've highlighted the section in the properties pane which will answer the first question.

image.png

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Hi @GDub,

I see that you're trying to RUN the App, not edit it.

The PowerApps Windows App is in the same style as the PowerApps Android/iOS App - you only run applications from it.

You should use a web browser to edit the App, by navigating to create.powerapps.com then you will have the option to add/remove data sources and edit the controls as @timl suggested.

Hope this helps you on your journey,

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

Super User
Super User

Hi @GDub 

Like @iAm_ManCat says, it's necessary to access the app via  create.powerapps.com. This will enable you to edit the app.

To recreate the app, go to App templates > Tablet Layout > PowerApps Training. From here, you'll see the Change option as shown in the screenshot beneath. This will enable you to recreate the app and to specify where you want to store the Excel file. Once you do this, you should be able to edit the app to carry out the training.

image.png

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @GDub 

With regards to the first question, it sounds as though PowerApps cannot find the Excel file that's associated with your app. This can happen, for example, if there's no personal or business OneDrive account associated with your login.

To resolve this issue, I would suggest that you recreate the app and choose the option to manually select the location where you want to save your Excel file. You could choose to use Google Drive or Dropbox rather than OneDrive, which may work out to be more reliable in your situation.

Regarding your second question, if you carry out the tasks in the actual designer, the Next button will appear which will then allow you to progress to the next screen. For example, I've highlighted the section in the properties pane which will answer the first question.

image.png

GDub
Level: Powered On

Hi, Timl

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I'm still at sea here. First off: I seem to have somehow missed requirement for an associated Excel file. Where is that documented? How do I create/associate the file? I do have a business OneDrive account associated with this instance of PowerApps -- the account I've been actively logged in on throughout the entire process. I do have Office 365 Excel files on OneDrive for this account. So... how is this supposed to work? 

Second I'm not sure what you mean by "recreate the app". I thought I reloaded the app and started fresh after I first encountered the issue, but the behavior did not change. 

Third, there are no controls available anywhere to edit the properties of the objects in the exercise, and consequently, no way to advance to the next screen. I see in your image that you have a set of controls off to the right side of the application window. Here's a picture of what I mean when I say "no controls available..." :PATAppFail.JPG

So I'm still not seeing any option for me to complete the tasks to move to the next screen. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

GDub

Super User
Super User

Hi @GDub,

I see that you're trying to RUN the App, not edit it.

The PowerApps Windows App is in the same style as the PowerApps Android/iOS App - you only run applications from it.

You should use a web browser to edit the App, by navigating to create.powerapps.com then you will have the option to add/remove data sources and edit the controls as @timl suggested.

Hope this helps you on your journey,

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

Super User
Super User

Hi @GDub 

Like @iAm_ManCat says, it's necessary to access the app via  create.powerapps.com. This will enable you to edit the app.

To recreate the app, go to App templates > Tablet Layout > PowerApps Training. From here, you'll see the Change option as shown in the screenshot beneath. This will enable you to recreate the app and to specify where you want to store the Excel file. Once you do this, you should be able to edit the app to carry out the training.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,413)