cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omh
Level: Powered On

Parse JSON string in Power APPS

Hello,

Is there a way to parse a JSON string directly in PowerApps, and not in Flow? I have succeeded in parsing it in Flow, but I need to parse it in PowerApps directly.

Thank you.

Oana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Parse JSON string in Power APPS

Hi @omh ,

I spent some time looking at this a while ago, so if the answer has changed I'd like to know 🙂

But at the time, the answer was 'no' - or at least, 'not easily'.  The JSON function currently represents data structures in JSON, but I couldn't find an easy way to parse JSON coming in or convert it into a data structure on the fly.  

I started writing some pretty complicated formulas to do it, but as you end up literally having to write a JSON parser with expressions and regex matching, it ended up being way to laborious.

Would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this though - you can in the meantime UPVOTE the idea in the ideas form;

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Parse-JSON-in-PowerApps/idi-p/359563

Kind regards,

RT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @omh ,

I spent some time looking at this a while ago, so if the answer has changed I'd like to know 🙂

But at the time, the answer was 'no' - or at least, 'not easily'.  The JSON function currently represents data structures in JSON, but I couldn't find an easy way to parse JSON coming in or convert it into a data structure on the fly.  

I started writing some pretty complicated formulas to do it, but as you end up literally having to write a JSON parser with expressions and regex matching, it ended up being way to laborious.

Would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this though - you can in the meantime UPVOTE the idea in the ideas form;

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Parse-JSON-in-PowerApps/idi-p/359563

Kind regards,

RT

View solution in original post

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @omh ,

As RusselThomas said, I'm afraid that PowerApps can't parse JSON directly right now.

You can provide the feedback to PowerApps Ideas Forum, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Please follow up this Idea, lots of people are pushing this forward.

Best regards,

Sik

omh
Level: Powered On

Thank you @v-siky-msft , @RusselThomas . I have voted the idea. Let's hope that it will be implemented.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,398)