cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TerrenceP
Level: Powered On

Pass parameter from Power BI to PowerApps

Hi,

I have a Power BI dashboard embedded in a PowerApps screen. The dashboard displays the locations of various companies on a map (I used the ESRI ArcGIS visualisation in Power BI to do this). When I click on a specific company on the dashboard, I would like to navigate to another PowerApps screen (Details Screen) which displays detailed information about the company.

Is this possible? I would think that a parameter needs to be passed from the dashboard to the Details Screen so it can dynamically display the details for the selected company, but I am not sure how to pass the parameter.

Help appreciated...thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Pass parameter from Power BI to PowerApps

Hi @TerrenceP,

Could you please share a screenshot of your app's configuration?

Do you add a Power BI tile control within your app's screen?

Further, do you want to pass parameters from the dashboard (display using Power BI tile control) to the Detail screen?

If you want to pass parameters from the dashboard (display using Power BI tile control) to the Detail screen within your app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to embed your app into your Power BI report, then you could pass parameters from the report into the embedded app.

More details about embedding an app in Power BI report, please check the following article:

Embed an app in Power BI report

Please also check if the following blog would help your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerbi-powerapps-visual/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
TerrenceP
Level: Powered On

Re: Pass parameter from Power BI to PowerApps

Thanks for this Kris. Let me explain what I'm trying to achieve.

I've created a PowerApp which displays a listing (Gallery) of companies. The companies are stored on a SP Online list, and includes info such as company name, location, number of employees, and other company details. When the user clicks on a specific company from the Gallery screen, the app navigates to the company details. This is working OK.

I now need to include in the PowerApp, a screen with a Map showing the locations of all the companies. When a user clicks on any company on the map, the app should navigate to the company details screen. So far, to achieve this map functionality, I've embedded a Power BI tile control in my PowerApp to display the map showing the company locations, which is working OK. But I now need to know how to enable the user to click on a company location on the map, and navigate to the company details screen. Which is why I asked in my post if it is possible to pass a parameter (such as company name) from the Power BI tile control, back to PowerApps in order to show the company details.

From your response, it appears this is not possible.

However, any ideas on how I might be able to achieve the above requirement? Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,959)