cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shafeel_07
Level: Powered On

Patch issues combobox

Hi Powerapps Cimmunity,

i have a submit button that is patching some data back to a sql table like this - ForAll(ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id:EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID, Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})). i have a combobox where i am grabbing the data for Data_Integrity_Systems_Id. both columns are int type, the patch works perfectly fine when i am patching in the edit screen , but when im creating a new form. the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID wont work and wont product a value and since the table doesnt allow nulls it wont at all. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Patch issues combobox

Hi @Shafeel_07,

Based on the formula that you provided, I think you have some misunderstanding in EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

The EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return value only when you save your form data into your SQL Table using SubmitForm function.

When you open a new form in your app (in New Form), the Edit form would be reset, so the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return blank. In addition, the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column value would be generated only when you save a record into your SQL table.

In other words, you could not get the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id value of the record which has not been added into your SQL table using EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

As an alternative solution, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

ForAll(
         ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
         Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})   /* <-- Don't provide a value for Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column */
    )

Note: We could not provide a value for a Auto-Generated column in SQL Table data source within PowerApps.

If you want to assign a value for a Auto-Generated column in a SQL table from PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

Hi @Shafeel_07,

I've formatted your formula for understanding:

ForAll(ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
    Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),
        {
            Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id: EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID, 
            Data_Integrity_Systems_Id: ID
        }
    )
)

If I understand correctly, EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID is not showing up for you when creating a new form.

To clarify, the LastSubmit property of a form will only have a record if you use SubmitForm. It is possible to reset the last submitted record, so you may want to set it to a variable upon successfully using SubmitForm.

For example, in the OnSuccess property of EditForm1, you could set it to:

Set(selectedRecord, EditForm1.LastSubmit)

But I'll need more details on what exactly you're trying to achieve here to guide more.

Shafeel_07

So i have a ComboBox where i am able to select multiple values from a list and return its ID which goes into  Data_Integrity_Systems_Id: ID , and then Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id grabs the test case id of the value seleceted from the gallery, it works fine when you select a value from the gallery but not when you create a new test case.  i have a auto id generator in Sql which creates a new Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id. with EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID i am trying to retrieve the last Test_Case_ID submitted

PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

Can you draw out the sequence of actions you're expecting in your app?

Shafeel_07

So i have a 1 to many relationship where one Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id can belong to many  Data_Integrity_Systems_Id which is where i use the ComboBox to retireve multiple values, then i would store this in a table like given in the attachment, i have a gallery where i can retrieve Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id but when im creating a new form it wont work because the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id is automatically generated by sql

Shafeel_07

even if i have a timer and put my patch statement there to allow the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id  to be generated in my sql table , it still wont retrieve the last submitting Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Shafeel_07,

Based on the formula that you provided, I think you have some misunderstanding in EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

The EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return value only when you save your form data into your SQL Table using SubmitForm function.

When you open a new form in your app (in New Form), the Edit form would be reset, so the EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula would return blank. In addition, the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column value would be generated only when you save a record into your SQL table.

In other words, you could not get the Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id value of the record which has not been added into your SQL table using EditForm1.LastSubmit.Test_Case_ID formula.

As an alternative solution, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

ForAll(
         ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 
         Patch('SOURCE', Defaults('SOURCE'),{Data_Integrity_Systems_Id:ID})   /* <-- Don't provide a value for Data_Integrity_Test_Case_Id column */
    )

Note: We could not provide a value for a Auto-Generated column in SQL Table data source within PowerApps.

If you want to assign a value for a Auto-Generated column in a SQL table from PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Shafeel_07

i would still need Data_Integrity_Test_Case_ID to be patched, so thanks for the reply, i will have to find some other alternative 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,281)