cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Macjan
Level: Powered On

Patch multiple rows

I know there have been other threads about this topic, but they either confuse me or don't work in my case.

I have a table in excel where there are 10 rows for every month, and I have set up a grouping system. User can for ex. set up group 1 for January, February, March and then set up group 2 to contain every other month. In this case the app needs to assign 30 rows of January, February and March to group 1 and the remaining 90 to group 2. There can be a maximum of 12 groups.

The problem arises when I need to get those numbers assigned to the Table. I have a Month and Index column. Index should have the number of the group the specfic month is assigned to but simply isn't changing.

Here are the commands I tried and assigned to a button:

ForAll(Filter(Table, Month = "January"), Patch(Table, LookUp(Table, Month = "January"), {Index: Value(variable)}))

Collect(Jan, Filter(Table, Month = "January"));
UpdateIf(Jan, true, {Index: Value(variable)});
Patch(Table,Jan)

variable here is set by the user when they select a group to modify. That way the button knows which group should be edited.

These commands are a part of a bigger command chain, which looks something like this:

If(Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox1.= true, ForAll(Filter(Table, Month = "January"), Patch(Table, LookUp(Table, Month = "January"), {Index: Value(variable)})), Set(dummy, false));
If(Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox2.= true, ForAll(Filter(Table, Month = "February"), Patch(Table, LookUp(Table, Month = "February"), {Index: Value(variable)})), Set(dummy, false));

Toggle1 checks if the group should be active, Checkbox1 checks if the selected month should be a part of this group and dummy is just there to skip the else value. I don't want the app to do anything if the conditions aren't met. There would be 12 commands corresponding to every month.

I still don't fully understand how ForAll and Collect work. It certainly doesn't help that in ForAll I need to reference a table three times and the first one for some reason has to be different and Collect creates an empty collection even through I made sure that the condition was written correctly.

So, how do I put these group numbers to assigned months?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Patch multiple rows

Hi @Macjan ,

Based on the ForAll formula you provided, I think there is something wrong with it. Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think it is not necessary to achieve your needs using ForAll function, the UpdateIf function is enough.

Please consider modify your formula as below (the formulas assigned to a button):

UpdateIf(                      /* <-- Modify the Index column of all avaiable table records whose Month value is "January" with variable value*/
Table,
Month = "January",
{
Index: Value(variable)
}
)

Please modify your second part formula as below:

If(               /* <-- Only Single One If function could achieve your needs */
Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox1.= true,
Update(Table, Month = "January", {Index: Value(variable)}), Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox2.= true,
Update(Table, Month = "February", {Index: Value(variable)}),
Set(dummy, false)
)

More details about the ForAll function, If function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

ForAll function, If function

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Macjan ,

Based on the ForAll formula you provided, I think there is something wrong with it. Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think it is not necessary to achieve your needs using ForAll function, the UpdateIf function is enough.

Please consider modify your formula as below (the formulas assigned to a button):

UpdateIf(                      /* <-- Modify the Index column of all avaiable table records whose Month value is "January" with variable value*/
Table,
Month = "January",
{
Index: Value(variable)
}
)

Please modify your second part formula as below:

If(               /* <-- Only Single One If function could achieve your needs */
Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox1.= true,
Update(Table, Month = "January", {Index: Value(variable)}), Toggle1.Value = true && Checkbox2.= true,
Update(Table, Month = "February", {Index: Value(variable)}),
Set(dummy, false)
)

More details about the ForAll function, If function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

ForAll function, If function

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Macjan
Level: Powered On

As far as I remember I tried the UpdateIf command as well, but the table wasn't updating. However I decided to recreate the same table in new excel file and now everything works like a charm.

Thank you for the advice as well as for the method of slightly compressing the If command.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,688)