cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkiDK
Level 8

Performance Images application

Hi everyone,

I'm developing an application which is currently being tested in different places. However on places with very slow connections the application takes a long time to start.

The app works with a lot of blob images that load into a collection on the start of the application. I guess performance wise this is not very good. In the application you're able to retrieve blob images from a database as well patch images into the database. 

Once the collection is loaded, I think from there on the perfomance is pretty solid, but at start it could take ages. Way too long to be somewhat user friendly. Is there a practice for storing and showing images to improve performance? Maybe divide collections per screen to split up the loading time? 

Many thanks!

Ski

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Performance Images application

Hi @SkiDK 

You can use se the Concurrent function to load data sources simultaneously, collect the images in more than one collection to test.

More  information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/performance-considerations-with-powerapps/

Best Regards.

Yumia

View solution in original post

SkiDK
Level 8

@v-yuxima-msft I made a test and got it settled out.

Collections do only get created when it is told to. Doing the next on an OnVisible property of the new section screen got me to load only the images connected to that section

Collect( ColMedia, Filter("datasourceMedia", SectionId = varSectionId ) 

Then on a gallery:

Filter(colMedia, SectionId = varSectionId)

This really increased the loading time of the application. I didn't do it through a Concurrent, but I did split up the collection. Using Collect instead of ClearCollect, I also add the new media instead of refreshing, thus meaning when I go back to another section, tghe media does not have to be reloaded.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @SkiDK 

You can use se the Concurrent function to load data sources simultaneously, collect the images in more than one collection to test.

More  information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/performance-considerations-with-powerapps/

Best Regards.

Yumia

SkiDK
Level 8

Hi @v-yuxima-msft, thanks for your reply

Do all collections get loaded when the app gets initialized wherever they are? If I have a ClearCollect in the OnVisible property of another screen, would it load in the beginning of the app or only when the screen gets visible?

I was thinking creating a new collection for every section once you enter its screen. Doing this by naming a new collection for example: 

ClearCollect( "ColMedia" & varSectionId, Filter("datasourceMedia", SectionId = varSectionId ))

Is this a good idea? And does it work when I put it on an OnVisible property of a screen? Or does it all get loaded in the beginning anyway? In that case splitting the collection in OnStart on Concurrent might be the better case, but would it actually be that faster in places with a slow connection, since still all media needs to be downloaded? 

Thanks

SkiDK
Level 8

@v-yuxima-msft I made a test and got it settled out.

Collections do only get created when it is told to. Doing the next on an OnVisible property of the new section screen got me to load only the images connected to that section

Collect( ColMedia, Filter("datasourceMedia", SectionId = varSectionId ) 

Then on a gallery:

Filter(colMedia, SectionId = varSectionId)

This really increased the loading time of the application. I didn't do it through a Concurrent, but I did split up the collection. Using Collect instead of ClearCollect, I also add the new media instead of refreshing, thus meaning when I go back to another section, tghe media does not have to be reloaded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,455)