cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjones
Level: Powered On

Performance issue and errors connecting to SharePoint. PowerApps not usable

Are others experiencing issues witih PowerApps performance with SharePoint?  I've been experiencing very poor performance since last Thursday or Friday. The weekend was fine, but here on Monday (with heavier traffic from business users) I have a basically unusable application.   

I have a pretty simple data schema of SharePoint lists.  No more than several hundred records in a list.  Some screens combine several list items (via lookups) to fill.   It looks like PowerApps and SharePoint are having serious (SERIOUS) performance issues.  I'm receiving "record not found" , "The requested operation is invalid" , "An error occurred on the server." and a variety of combinations. 

How can an enterprise create even simple PowerApps applications with these types of basic performance issues? 

How can one elevate this for visibility higher in Microsoft?  PowerApps is a great idea, but application and database availability are critical!

Many thanks in advance to the community that may be able to help with creating awareness of this issue.

Who else is encountering similar performance issues? 

6 REPLIES 6
gortizp

Re: Performance issue and errors connecting to SharePoint. PowerApps not usable

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Power Apps. Can you share a session id of the failing app? Instructions here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid

xzDan
Level 8

I encounter this same issue regularly

gortizp

Sharing a session id of the app showing the perf regressions would help with the diagnose of this issue. Please share the session id next time you see this. Instructions here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid

kjones

Thanks for the follow gortizp.  I did not capture the session ID (but I will in the future if needed).  Microsoft support reported issues that multiple customers were having yesterday with Microsoft cloud platforms (SharePoint / OneDrive, etc.).  No doubt the errors that we were receiving were demonstrably linked to those issues.  

So, while the outage / issue is more than likely NOT one of the PowerApps dev/production platform(s), Microsoft still gets a sore eye because they own the end-to-end infrastructure.  Not fair to the PowerApps team, but a fact nonetheless.

Question for you, does the PowerApps team have an class-of-service capabilities with internal (Microsoft owned and operated) data sources, such as SharePoint?  I come from a carrier background (among other things) and we routinely classify communication routes by application and assign classes of service for participating nodes that make up the end-to-end route. Curious if PowerApps will adopt something like this, which is an enterprise-class approach to application and platform availability.

kjones

Will do gortizp.  I provided a longer response just a few minutes ago to your reply to my inital post.  

gortizp

PowerApps doesn't use a class-of-service for SharePoint calls. Data retrieval performance issues are due to the data source itself. So ensuring that the traffic from the app to the data source is prioritized won't help much on improving the response time on the data source. 

That said, if you have an instance of slow SharePoint data, please share the session id so either PowerApps or SharePoint can investigate and identify performance problems.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,618)