cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SaWu
Level 8

Permissions(?) needed for changing environment in web.powerapps.com?

Hello

Please be so kind as to read my full power before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

In one Dynamics instance, I have created a PowerApp with a user crmadmin who has a PowerApps P1 license and a security role as CRM admin.
I created the PowerApps in the only production environment, not the default environment.
image.png

I am trying to share this PowerApp with less privileged users, specifially a user testp1, also with a P1 license, and with security roles enabling login and seeing the relevant entities in Dynamics.
That is, this user is already part of the production enviroment and, as far as I understand, has the necessary security roles and PowerApps license for accessing my PowerApp.
Of course, from the crmadmin perspective, the PowerApp is shared with testp1.
image.png

If I login with testp1 to the PowerApps App on Android, I can see the shared PowerApp (with the production environment in brackets) and use it properly.

However, when logging in to web.powerapps.com with testp1, I seem to be stuck in the default environment and don't see the shared PowerApp from the production environment.
image.pngimage.png

The dropdown to change environments (which I see as crmadmin) is missing.

Also, via notifications, I am able to see and use the PowerApp from the production environment.
image.png
As far as I understand, I will not be able to access this PowerApps if I remove the notification.

My questions:

1. What do I for user testp1, such that the shared PowerApp simply shows up in the list of Apps in web.powerapps.com such that testp1 can also easily access this PowerApp in the browser?
  2. How do I make the correct production environment available for changing into at web.powerapps.com for testp1, who, as far as I understand, is already proper part of this environment?
  3. What is the use of the default enviroment without even a CDS database anyway?

Thank you,
    Sa.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Permissions(?) needed for changing environment in web.powerapps.com?

1) To see a PowerApps environment a user must have a minimum role assigned to them of Maker. As you have seen you can run an app without being a maker, but won't be able to see the app because you can't see the environment. So to run the app from anything other than a link they need to be a maker.

2) If you exprot the app and import it to the default production environemnt then the user will be able to see it and use it since they are a maker in that environment by default.

3) It used to be true that the default environment couldn't have CDS.  That is no longer true.  If you don't see a button to create a CDS in the default environment open a support call. There should be a CDS in every environment since about May of this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) Yes, I mean Environment maker.  I can't point you at any specific documentation, but I've tested this quite a bit and that is what works.

3) This is some confusion that comes in from PowerApps/Flow being both a Dynamics and an Office 365 thing originally.  Office 365 doesn't have the concept of a Sandbox environment.  You get one Default environment for PowerApps which is a Production Environment.  You can then create additonal environments that can be either Production or Trial.  The Production/Sandbox environment you see is your Test environment for Dynamics 365. When Dynamics was aligned with Office 365 they created a Default Environment.  I know its confusing.  Its because two different teams used some of the same terms differently and they are now trying to merge the systems.

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) To see a PowerApps environment a user must have a minimum role assigned to them of Maker. As you have seen you can run an app without being a maker, but won't be able to see the app because you can't see the environment. So to run the app from anything other than a link they need to be a maker.

2) If you exprot the app and import it to the default production environemnt then the user will be able to see it and use it since they are a maker in that environment by default.

3) It used to be true that the default environment couldn't have CDS.  That is no longer true.  If you don't see a button to create a CDS in the default environment open a support call. There should be a CDS in every environment since about May of this year.

SaWu
Level 8

Thanks @Pstork1

1. Do you mean "Environment Maker"?
    Can you point me to a documentation of this?
    And I can see the App just fine in the Android App (with the environment in the subtitle).
    I simply can't see anything on the website.
  2. Thanks for the hint.
  3. Yes, I see the button to create a database in the default environment.
    My question is more this:
    What is the point of, as far as I understand, via ADN, receiving, by default, a type "default" and a "type" production environment with a tenant?
    I can kinda guess what type "production", "sandbox", and "trial" environments are used for.
    I don't understand what the "default" type for an environment means and what it is used for.
    image.pngimage.png

Thank you,
    Sa.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) Yes, I mean Environment maker.  I can't point you at any specific documentation, but I've tested this quite a bit and that is what works.

3) This is some confusion that comes in from PowerApps/Flow being both a Dynamics and an Office 365 thing originally.  Office 365 doesn't have the concept of a Sandbox environment.  You get one Default environment for PowerApps which is a Production Environment.  You can then create additonal environments that can be either Production or Trial.  The Production/Sandbox environment you see is your Test environment for Dynamics 365. When Dynamics was aligned with Office 365 they created a Default Environment.  I know its confusing.  Its because two different teams used some of the same terms differently and they are now trying to merge the systems.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 218 members 6,474 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: