cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ETA9T
Level: Power Up

Power App On-Premise Gateway

Hello,

I am new to Power Apps, I need clarification regarding Power App On-Premise Gateway.

I assume that when we use On-Premise Gateway data will be accessed by Power Apps using the gateways and at no point, data will be saved at Microsoft Cloud. (Similar to Direct Querry mode in Power BI On-Premise Gateway)

Help me understand how the data will flow from my On-Premise database, does it get stored at Microsoft Cloud or any other location?

Any reference documents or post would be helpful, Also let me know if details are required from my side.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Power App On-Premise Gateway

Hi @ETA9T

Yes, you're correct -  with the On-Premise Gateway, no data is saved in the Microsoft Cloud.
The documentation provides details about how the gateway works, including the ports that the gateway uses.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/gateway-reference

This is what the documentation says about how it works:

When a user interacts with an element that's connected to an on-premises data source:

1. The cloud service creates a query, along with the encrypted credentials for the data source, and sends the query to the queue for the gateway to process.

2. The gateway cloud service analyzes the query and pushes the request to the Azure Service Bus.

3. The on-premises data gateway polls the Azure Service Bus for pending requests.

4. The gateway gets the query, decrypts the credentials, and connects to the data source(s) with those credentials.

5. The gateway sends the query to the data source for execution.

6. The results are sent from the data source back to the gateway and then onto the cloud service. The service then uses the results.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Power App On-Premise Gateway

Hi @ETA9T

Yes, you're correct -  with the On-Premise Gateway, no data is saved in the Microsoft Cloud.
The documentation provides details about how the gateway works, including the ports that the gateway uses.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/gateway-reference

This is what the documentation says about how it works:

When a user interacts with an element that's connected to an on-premises data source:

1. The cloud service creates a query, along with the encrypted credentials for the data source, and sends the query to the queue for the gateway to process.

2. The gateway cloud service analyzes the query and pushes the request to the Azure Service Bus.

3. The on-premises data gateway polls the Azure Service Bus for pending requests.

4. The gateway gets the query, decrypts the credentials, and connects to the data source(s) with those credentials.

5. The gateway sends the query to the data source for execution.

6. The results are sent from the data source back to the gateway and then onto the cloud service. The service then uses the results.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,795)