cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbe
Level: Power Up

Power Apps ONLY for creating Phone or Tablet Apps (!) (?)

This may be worst question ever posted.....

Is PowerApps a tool for creating web apps, where the end users are accessing the app via a phone or tablet (only)? vs. creating a web app where the end user may be sitting at a desk and accessing the app via their laptop or desktop computer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Power Apps ONLY for creating Phone or Tablet Apps (!) (?)

Hi @ec_correa

Basically the best way to start is to:

1) create a new blank tablet layout app in Studio (the table layout will fill the desktop screen)

2) connect the app to your SPO

3) build up the app and controls in Studio

4) run the app in a desktop browser via the link to the app

Please let me know if there are any of the above steps that need further clarification

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @rbe

This is an EXCELLENT question.  I think a lot of us are looking for a replacement for Infopath and/or Access Web Apps in desktop applications.

I am using PowerApps primarily for desktop applications, and it works wonderfully, much quicker than on mobile devices.  Try it and you will be converted (after in my case some initial difficulties in understanding the way things work).

I suspect the PowerApps team need to market this as a mobile/tablet only effort otherwise they would not get funded by Microsoft central given the mobile centric strategy.

ec_correa
Level: Powered On

Hi Meneghino. 

It's great to listen to someone trying to do that. I'm trying to use PowerApps to build custom forms in an SPO website (like a replacement of Infopath, as you mention), but really don't find a way to get started. Everything I find is related to mobile. 

Could you share some resources you use to get started in desktop? Or some clues? It'd be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @ec_correa

Basically the best way to start is to:

1) create a new blank tablet layout app in Studio (the table layout will fill the desktop screen)

2) connect the app to your SPO

3) build up the app and controls in Studio

4) run the app in a desktop browser via the link to the app

Please let me know if there are any of the above steps that need further clarification

View solution in original post

ec_correa

Thank you very much! Will start working on it immediately. In conceptual terms I understand what you mean. Let's see what I can build. Will come back for particular issues, for sure. 

Thank you for your support. 

Kimmy

@rbe I too felt like it was a dumb question.  Yet here I am in June  2019 with a much more advanced version still wondering the same question.

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Hi @Kimmy I would suggest creating a new thread explaining the issue you're having so the community can assist. 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,148)