cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LucianB
Level: Powered On

Power Apps as an alternative for Access Web app?

Hi,

I am writing this post, after I heard the really sad news that Access web app will be closed from next year. This is in my opinion a big mistake, as I believe AWA was the best product Microsoft released in last 10 years. However, not too much we can do, we need to look for an alternative, and Microsoft recomends Power Apps.

I have a fairly complex app which allowing office to dispatch jobs to emplyees outside on their iPads and employees just need to update information once the job is done and so office can e-mail to customers, take reports and analyze data through a desktop Access app.

Now, how can I achieve this in Power Apps, as I tried before and abandoned the project from a lot a reasons. As far I can see, Power Apps can't do more than update a spreadsheet through smartphone. No real support for relational databases, no macros, not even queries available. Even dropdown box is displaying only Record ID and need Lookup to diplay another information from specific record. Who cares Record ID??

So, basically what do I need to achieve:

-Need to be able to display information from multiple tables on same screen, update and save;

-Add  a record to multiple tables from same screen;

-Email when a field was updated, with all the information regarding changes made by users;

-A lot of tables involved, many lookups and records;

I managed somehow to pass the heavy lifting to Access desktop app,and minimize tasks from mobile app, but I got the feeling that Power apps can't handle it.

I will probably use Azure SQL server as back-end, as I need to find a solution to move data from AWA.

Really I need your honest opinion on this matter, and I believe I am not the only one who got this questions and problems, after Microsoft give us this short notice on cancellation of AWA.

Thanks for reading my post, look forward to hear from you!

3 REPLIES 3
LucianB

Re: Power Apps as an alternative for Access Web app?

No answers as yet...I am expecting at least a moderator to read my questions and provide some feedback. This beacause Microsoft is pushing to PowerApps as an alternative...

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi LucianB,

About your requirements and ideas that PowerApps cannot achieve so far, you can all post them to the PowerApps Ideas forum.

1. You can have multiple forms on the same screen and each form connect to a different table.

2. This seems cannot be done so far.

3. This can be achieved using PowerApps to trigger a Flow to run.

4. I don't quite understand what you need by this.

Thanks for your feedback and you are always welcomed to tell us what you think on PowerApps Ideas forum.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LucianB

Thank you for your reply, Mona.

My understanding is that Power Apps is not really an alternative solution for AWA. I added some requests on Power Apps ideas form as you sugested, however not expecting too much, as Microsoft never listen their customers anyway.

Probably I need to lok further, for what I can see Google is coming now with some real solutions - may be an alternative, not too sure yet.

I am sorry to say that, but after nearly 20 years using Microsoft products, most likely I have to move further to a different platform.

Decided to give one more chance to Power Apps if they come with some real solutions for relational databases because if I want to update a simple spreadsheet I can do from Excel, no need a mobile app to do that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,612)