cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmartin
Level: Powered On

PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi,

I have the immediate requirements to generate two mobile form data capture apps (offline and online capture), publish to a central repository and report off this data using PowerBI and a website. Initially only 2 apps and 10 users but would scale out to 100 apps and 500 users

So I have been looking at using PowerApps but as its quite new I am yet to see a best practice on architecting an end - end solution.

Utilising powerapps on the front end is a no brainer but what to connect to. Connecting directly to the CDS looks to be the no-code solution but then can a server side website connect to the same data and run powerBI over this?

Suppose I could connect to a customAPI which uses a SQL Server behind the scenes. That way I have the flexibility but it would prevent power users creating their own apps (Might be a good thing)

I have a developer background so code is not an issue but as powerapps is changing at a rapid rate I need to ensure logging, security versioning of apps and stability are taken into account.

Any suggestions/links  appreciated.

Cheers

JM

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi @jmartin,

PowerApps could connect to On-premise SQL Server directly. But currently there are some limitations:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

Specially for delegation:

Undersrtand delegation in PowerApps

PowerApps connecring to data source is similar to Power BI.

Also, if you would like to do some deleloping, take a look at custom connectors in PowerApps:

Register and use custom connectors in PowerApps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jmartin
Level: Powered On

Re: PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi Michael,

I have actually already followed the article you linked regarding the custom connector. What the author fails to go into is what are some of the reasons you would choose a custom connector over the CDS.

Cheers

Jeremy

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,890)