cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmartin
Level: Powered On

PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi,

I have the immediate requirements to generate two mobile form data capture apps (offline and online capture), publish to a central repository and report off this data using PowerBI and a website. Initially only 2 apps and 10 users but would scale out to 100 apps and 500 users

So I have been looking at using PowerApps but as its quite new I am yet to see a best practice on architecting an end - end solution.

Utilising powerapps on the front end is a no brainer but what to connect to. Connecting directly to the CDS looks to be the no-code solution but then can a server side website connect to the same data and run powerBI over this?

Suppose I could connect to a customAPI which uses a SQL Server behind the scenes. That way I have the flexibility but it would prevent power users creating their own apps (Might be a good thing)

I have a developer background so code is not an issue but as powerapps is changing at a rapid rate I need to ensure logging, security versioning of apps and stability are taken into account.

Any suggestions/links  appreciated.

Cheers

JM

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi @jmartin,

PowerApps could connect to On-premise SQL Server directly. But currently there are some limitations:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

Specially for delegation:

Undersrtand delegation in PowerApps

PowerApps connecring to data source is similar to Power BI.

Also, if you would like to do some deleloping, take a look at custom connectors in PowerApps:

Register and use custom connectors in PowerApps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
jmartin
Level: Powered On

Re: PowerApps Architecture Best Practice

Hi Michael,

I have actually already followed the article you linked regarding the custom connector. What the author fails to go into is what are some of the reasons you would choose a custom connector over the CDS.

Cheers

Jeremy

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 311 members 5,826 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: