cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Meerkat
Level: Power Up

PowerApps Drop Down List

I have a simple power app that I developed using Excel as the data source.  But how do I convert one of the fields to a drop down box so users can select a choice.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pNabin
Level 8

Re: PowerApps Drop Down List

Hi @Meerkat,

Could you explain in details about your scenario?

I assume you are trying to add new record where one of the field is dropdown but that field is not dropdown in the excel.
Steps:

1. Select the Datacard for the field you want to make dropdown. In advanced properties, unlock to change properties.

2. Delete the DataCardValue (Input control) of that Datacard. Or hide text input control.

3. Insert New dropdown control inside that datacard.

4. Change new dropdown's property Items as array of your options : Items = ["MIS","Marketing","HR"]
5. Change Update property of the datacard  : Update = Dropdown1.Selected.Value where Dropdown1 is tha name of newly added dropdown control.

6. If you hide the text input datacard, this step is not required. ErrorMessage of that Datacard may so error. change the Y-axis property of ErrorMessage name of old DatacardValue into the new Dropdown control name.like: Y= Dropdown1.Y + Dropdown1.Height. 

7. If you see any error message, update it with the name of newly added dropdown control name.

I hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Nabin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pNabin
Level 8

Hi @Meerkat,

Could you explain in details about your scenario?

I assume you are trying to add new record where one of the field is dropdown but that field is not dropdown in the excel.
Steps:

1. Select the Datacard for the field you want to make dropdown. In advanced properties, unlock to change properties.

2. Delete the DataCardValue (Input control) of that Datacard. Or hide text input control.

3. Insert New dropdown control inside that datacard.

4. Change new dropdown's property Items as array of your options : Items = ["MIS","Marketing","HR"]
5. Change Update property of the datacard  : Update = Dropdown1.Selected.Value where Dropdown1 is tha name of newly added dropdown control.

6. If you hide the text input datacard, this step is not required. ErrorMessage of that Datacard may so error. change the Y-axis property of ErrorMessage name of old DatacardValue into the new Dropdown control name.like: Y= Dropdown1.Y + Dropdown1.Height. 

7. If you see any error message, update it with the name of newly added dropdown control name.

I hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Nabin

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Meerkat,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to convert the Text Input box into a Drop down box within the Edit form of your app?

If you want to convert the Text Input box into a Drop down box within the Edit form of your app, please check the following GIF screenshot:Test1.gif

On your side, after converting a Text Input box into a Drop down box, please unlock the corresponding Data card, then set the Items property of the Drop down box (Dropdown control) to a Table value consists of available options you want to choose from this Drop down box.

Note: The mac_familia and mac_tipo are both Excel tables in my OneDrive for Busines folder.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Imke
Level: Powered On

I had a problem with this solution, but thats solved now (cannot delete my post...)

sludgeza
Level: Powered On

Hi. Your point 5 returns an error. It says "Expected Text Value". I don't understand whats going on hear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,887)