cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guyinazo
Level 8

PowerApps Licensing surprise

I have been using PowerApps for a while now and even have a few application in production.  This morning I go into the app and it says my trial period has expired and to either extend it or purchase it.  I guess I missed that memo on needing a paid license if I am using SQL on-prem through a data gateway.  I dont have any issues with adding onto my already E5 license, but the question I do have is how will this effect my end users who consume and use the applications?  will they also need licensing?  And if anyone might direct me to a blog/article about this I appreciated it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps Licensing surprise

Hi @guyinazo 

Sorry to hear about your 'surprise'.

The following post here contains a lot of useful information.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Licenses-for-Powerapps/td-p/190268

To summarise your particular situation, all your end users will need a Plan 1 or Plan 2 subscription to continue using the on-premises gateway (and SQL Server on-prem).

E5 licenses do not provide access to the on-premises gateway, but the ability to connect to SQL Azure is included in the license. Since a Plan 1 license costs $7/user/month, it can be cheaper to move to SQL Azure, if that's a viable option for you. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps Licensing surprise

Hi @guyinazo 

Sorry to hear about your 'surprise'.

The following post here contains a lot of useful information.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Licenses-for-Powerapps/td-p/190268

To summarise your particular situation, all your end users will need a Plan 1 or Plan 2 subscription to continue using the on-premises gateway (and SQL Server on-prem).

E5 licenses do not provide access to the on-premises gateway, but the ability to connect to SQL Azure is included in the license. Since a Plan 1 license costs $7/user/month, it can be cheaper to move to SQL Azure, if that's a viable option for you. 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 267 members 5,328 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: