cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C3
Level: Powered On

PowerApps, My 2 major concerns

Hi.

I see 2 issues with PowerApps that in my opinion is a blocker for usage of PowerApps in more extensive projects. There is stuff that i really like with PowerApps as well.

My background is a software developer, mostly .Net, since 2001. I have also extensive experience in implementing security solution/pen testing and integration using BizTalk.

My 2 concerns:

To tightly coupling between source and graphical elements.

Normal application life cycle is for me development, test and production. In PowerApps it is possible with different environment but not changing the data source. This means you either always are connected to the production database, or have to change the data source for each form when moving the app from environment to environment.

If we always using the production database, it's easy to mes up production data.

If we change the connection to a data source, we have to "program" after moving from one environment to another. Meaning we are not putting the tested app into production.

The not need programing requires aloooot of programing. Compared to WindowsForms or event an ASP.NET web app, the amount of properties, their name and what they do is quite similar. Also the events are quite similar to WindowsForms.

Here is my issue. Logic is placed all over, in events on form, screen, buttons, comboboxes etc. 

This makes it easy to loose overview, control and makes it easier to make bugs. In comparison to a WindowsForm with it's code behind, PowerApps is messy. 

Putting these issues together, makes PowerApps nothing more then a Prototyping tool not fitted for the more advanced programs my customers need.

I really hope these issues are thought trough by the PowerApps dev crew.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps, My 2 major concerns

Hi @C3,

Thanks for sharing your feedback, but for feature request or feedback, please post in the PowerApps Ideas forum below:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona Li

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps, My 2 major concerns

Hi @C3,

Thanks for sharing your feedback, but for feature request or feedback, please post in the PowerApps Ideas forum below:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona Li

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 448 members 6,122 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: