cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cybersurfer411
Level: Powered On

PowerApps TRIAL message on some of our screens!.

Hello all,

We use Powerapps via O365 business plan at UW(@uw.edu), Seattle using SQL Connector via on-prem gateway and it appears something on the licensing has changed? We keep getting the "Sign up for free trial" (attached) on multiple apps across the hospital floor! This is driving people into a panic because we have multiple apps that are open to public to view & clinic staff to maintain!

Can someone frm MSFT please let us know what is happening? How do we get around this? Issue is similar to:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Administering-PowerApps/OnPremise-Data-getaway-Asking-to-start-a...

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps TRIAL message on all our screens! URGENT.

@Cybersurfer411 

Yes, this is correct.  If you are using the SQL on-prem gateway, your users will need a P1 PowerApps license.  That is NOT included with a Office 365 PowerApps license.

Please reference back to the posting you linked - it has the reference to the documentation and change information from when this went into play in the beginning of this year.  If you are just seeing this now, then you might have been grandfathered in for a few months, but it appears that is coming to an end.

I hope this is helpful and informative for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Cybersurfer411
Level: Powered On

Re: PowerApps TRIAL message on all our screens!.

Thanks, Randy. We're trying to run it up by our admins.
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Randy,

I don't think its that they were grandfathered in.  I've seen this on other accounts.  It appears that MS is now enforcing that licensing restriction in the code, which they weren't doing previously.  In fact, from what I'm told it still isn't actually enforced by the mobile client.  But the P1 license is definately required since this past February as I remember.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 

It doesn't make a difference grandfathered or not, the bottom-line is that with the changes in the licensing, they need P1 for SQL on-prem.  They need to prepare for it at all costs if they rely on it.  

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I agree completely.  Just trying to explain why its showing up everywhere this last week instead of when they changed the licensing earlier this year.  There are a number of places in Office 365 where licensing is not enforced by the software.  Users still need to be aware of the licenses required.  The fact that it works is not a reason to assume that you've got the correct license.  People need to be aware of what they are doing and what licenses are required legally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 

Yep...got that right.  It is a shame that this was kind of "sneak" behind the scenes for a lot of users.  I know we had a few apps that were dependant on the SQL on-prem.  When the new license went into action, it was a choice...for some of my customer, spend $7000 extra a month for an app that was a convenience or drop it.  Guess what they chose!

@Cybersurfer411 needs to determine the same.  Each and every user of the app will need a P1 license.  If that is a lot of users, you might need to re-eval the purpose of the app. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps TRIAL message on some of our screens!.

Hi @Cybersurfer411 ,

Do you create a canvas app including On-Premise SQL connector uing your Office 365 license?

Currently, the On-premise data is not available in Office 365 license. Please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-365

If you want to use On-premise data (e.g. On-premise SQL Table) within a canvas app, you must own PowerApps Plan 1 license at least.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 178 members 5,846 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: