Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JachimRRX
Level: Power Up

PowerApps excel datasource shared across company from One Drive

Hi,

I'm working on an app, that will read (only read) about 14 columns and 20+ rows from Excel file that, is laying on OneDrive and display it in more user friendly form. I managed to get it working, but only for me, now I want to share it across company. 

I theory the file is shared via clickable link, and everyone has access to it, in practice - powerapps cannot access this file, and I suspect I would have to type person to share with Excel file. It's very inconvenient to do this one by one for more than 100 people.

As far as I know MS is working on sharepoint connector for PowerApps for more than 2 years, is there any information when will it be ready? It probably would solve my problem.

But for now, is there any chance to get it working from OneDrive, or do I have to create Flow from file on Sharepoint to PowerApps? I would like it to remain as Excel file, as it is connected via Flow to MS Forms, and would require a lot of changes in both app and Forms.

I would be very grateful for any ideas.

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerApps excel datasource shared across company from One Drive

Hi @JachimRRX ,

Currently, if you want other users to access your shared app which use Excel table (hosted in your OneDrive) as data source, you also must share your Excel file to these end users.

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-data#share-data-in-onedrive

Currently, there is no convenient way to share Excel file to more than 100 people. In addition, the Excel file stored in SP Library could not be used as data source within an app currently, if you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider fire a flow from an app, then within the flow, add a "List rows present in a table" action (Excel Online) to retrieve rows from the Excel file hosted in your SP Library, then return the retrieved result back to your app.

Please check the solution I mentioned within the following thread, then check if it could help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/Read-Excel-Stored-in-SharePoint/m-p/...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 205 members 5,423 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: