Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tested1
Level: Powered On

PowerApps form - Hiding a field in list

Hello

I have a powerapps form.

I want one column to be hidden in the form but it to show in the SharePoint List once a user has submitted the form

I tried to hide the field I dont want users to see BUT I wanted the field to stay visible in the SharePoint list. More importantly, I wanted it so a manager could add information to this hidden column

Please see Pics. Picture 1 is the field I want to Hide. When I tried hiding it, it did show up in the SharePoint list (Pic 2) but I cant edit/add info to the column as it opens up the form which has the field hidden.. (Pic 3)

Does this make sense? I just want a field to be hidden on the form for users, but it will show up on the SharePoint List for say the IT Team to fill in that field in?

Thank you

Guid 1.png1guid 2.png2

5 REPLIES 5
bartvd

Re: PowerApps form - Hiding a field in list

The edit button wil open the PowerApp Form again.(where the field is hidden)

However, if you use the quick edit button, you should be able to edit the field.

Can you check that?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tested1 ,

Like @bartvd  suggested, Form and SharePoint list view do not influence each other. Form is designed within PowerApps site. You can make a field to hide inside a Form control, and it can still be shown in SharePoint list. To hide a SharePoint list column, you need to set on SharePoint list site.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tested1

Hi @bartvd  @v-monli-msft 

If I hide the field in the PowerApp form and then click edit, the hidden field will be hidden so you cant edit it unless you make it viewable again?

I tried the Quick edit button and it let me edit hte fields However, every column was blank. So when I added something to the hidden column and click save, it said I need to fill in the rest of the columns.. looks only viable if the manager can copy the response in every other column and add it in. Probably better to just make the hidden column visible and optional if this is the case

I attached a pic below. Is there any better way? I just wanted to

1. Hide the field in the PowerApps form (Done by turning visible off in form) 
  2. Keep the field in the SharePoint list visible (Done by choosing what columns to show in view)
  3. Let a manager come and edit and put a value in the hidden field that was not on the PowerApp form but on the SP List

Just step 3 seems to be the issue :S It would make my form more userfriendly but I guess I could just make the field visible in the form and grey it out / put a note saying leave it for someone else :Serror powerapp.png

Thank you

bartvd

Given your experience, yes, this would be the correct solution.

Technically, it could be done in a more complex way i.e. creating user roles and making the field visible in the form for users with that role. That's how we do it in our PowerApps, should be the same for Forms.

But to explain this step by step, would be very hard Smiley Happy

tested1

Thanks for the reply @bartvd 

So there is a way to show different power app forms to different groups on the same SharePoint list?

So if someone in managers group opens the form, the hidden field will show, if a normal user opens it, it can be hidden?

I most likely wont use this long method if its the case but it would be nice to know its possible/this is the best solution for future reference 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 384 members 6,144 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: