cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterthegreat
Level: Powered On

PowerApps lack of security unless using Common Data Service?

Been struggling with this issue the past couple days, so hopefully one of my statements is incorrect:

I have HR analytics data stored on a SQL Server that I have created a PowerApp to view. This PowerApp uses the O365 login and a relationship table on the SQL server to determine which records of the primary table are viewable by that specific user. Everything works great, users have controlled access, etc. This app exists in the default tenant environment, and uses a On Premises Gateway to connect to the SQL server. Here's the problem:

Once the app has been shared with them, a savvy user could theoretically create a new app in the default environment, and use their existing SQL server connection (which was shared with the HR analytics app). They could then view and edit any data in the tables. 
It doesn't appear that I can take away the Environment Maker role for users in the default environment.

It doesn't appear that I can create a gateway in a non-default environment.

It doesn't appear that I can restrict use of existing connections that have been shared. 

Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: PowerApps lack of security unless using Common Data Service?

Hi @peterthegreat, excellent question.  I had been wondering about PowerApps and security, and happy that someone is trying to find the holes.

I seem to be able to take away Environment Maker role for all the tenant (by pressing the x) and then give it to individuals.  Please see screenshot below.  Do you see something different?  This is in my default environment.

Frankly I have not gone through with testing since we have running apps, but may do depending on your response.

__.JPG

peterthegreat

We were able to click the X and remove the "Tenant" from the Environment Maker role, but upon clicking Save is when he had the error which says something along the lines of "unable to remove all users from default Environment Maker permission". 

Were you able to fully execute the removal, or did you stop at your screenshot below? 🙂

Meneghino
Level 10

Frankly I stopped at the screenshot as I have working apps here.  What about if you add yourself and someone else before removing the tenant?

Meneghino
Level 10

Actually I got up some courage and tried it.  I get your same result, even if I add myself before removing the tenant.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will contribute to this discussion.

Andy77-2

See this link for other people's frustration with this issue (including mine!)

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Making-SQL-Connector-Secure/idi-p/112599  

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,038)