cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dompanha
Level: Powered On

Prevent user to save/change data directly in Sharepoint list, the data will save/change though Powerapps only

Dear All,

I have build Powerapps application connected with SharePoint and I want to prevent user from save/change directly in SharePoint list, the data will be save/change through Powerapps only, Is there any solution to do that?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Prevent user to save/change data directly in Sharepoint list, the data will save/change though Powerapps only

Just to add.  For #1 you'll have to de-link it and go through two Flows in order to save results using Flow without permissions.  Any Flow that you call directly from a PowerApp will run in the security context of the user.  So you will have to call another Flow from that Flow to get the Flow to run in the context of the person creating the Flow rather than the one executing the PowerApp.  PowerApps just isn't designed to be a security application in front of SharePoint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Prevent user to save/change data directly in Sharepoint list, the data will save/change though Powerapps only

There is no way to keep users from editing a SharePoint list directly but still allowing them access to the list through PowerApps.  Users must have permission to access the list to use it in PowerApps and that gives them permission to edit the list directly.

jhall
Level 8

As @Pstork1 mentions, you cannot do this *unless* you either:

1. De-link your PowerApp from SharePoint and instead link it to Flow (or some other in-between)
  2. Stop your application from performing a SubmitForm() on certain users (which I think would work)

Depending upon your environment and how much business logic you have piled into your app, I might suggest one vs. the other.

Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Just to add.  For #1 you'll have to de-link it and go through two Flows in order to save results using Flow without permissions.  Any Flow that you call directly from a PowerApp will run in the security context of the user.  So you will have to call another Flow from that Flow to get the Flow to run in the context of the person creating the Flow rather than the one executing the PowerApp.  PowerApps just isn't designed to be a security application in front of SharePoint.

View solution in original post

jhall
Level 8

@Pstork1 wrote:

PowerApps just isn't designed to be a security application in front of SharePoint.

Exactly.  You're really supposed to be doing the security layer within SharePoint itself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 336 members 6,842 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: