cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ballboff
Level: Powered On

Problem with editing form

I'm having issues with an edit form.  I click the edit button, it opens a form and allows me to change the text.  When I change the text and it returns to my results page it shows the old text still.  But the strange thing is that when I go to edit it again, it shows me the edited version still.  I come out of the app and go back into it, and it shows the old text still.  On my submit button I have the command "submitform(form2)".  I haven't tried submitting a new one yet, but i'm certain it will probably not work either, as I'm missing something.

6 REPLIES 6
hpkeong
Level 10

Re: Problem with editing form

Hi

I am sure you are creating apps from either CDM, Excel or something other connection.

Sometimes, PowerApps takes time to save & then show the edited text.

- Please try again to edit, and no matter what shows up in the Results Page (View), please go back to the Gallery to see if it has been updated.

Let me know what happens and hope it works again.

(as I know, and it happened to me before, error due to you hit on transient time which resulting in no-connection to server)

Hope it helps.

hpkeong
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Ballboff,

How was your App configured?

I had an App created from data with SharePoint Online list, the EditForm worked well and I can submit data to my SharePoint list.

Then I tried to create an App from blank, and connected it to the same SharePoint Online list. Then configured the App according to this article about “Understand data forms in Microsoft PowerApps”. This App also worked and data can be written to the SharePoint list.

This article could be a reference for you:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/working-with-forms/

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ballboff

Yeah it's connected to a sharepoint list, this contains all the data within my app.  I'll have to keep trying to play around with it, but I'm pretty certain it isn't updating.  One thing i've noticed however is that I only have one card, and all my fields are contained within that card.  On the examples i've seen in the tutorials I see they have 1 card per field, and in basic view you can rearrange the order of all your fields.  Does this affect updating the records when you save it?

PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Yes, it does. Forms in PowerApps associate cards with data fields, and the form submission process makes use of this association to unambiguously tell what needs to be written back to the back end (SP list in your case) on an edit/new.

How did you create your app? I am curious how you ended up in this state of only one combined card for all data fields.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
ballboff

I added a card and then just created individual controls inside it. Seemed the only way to do it at the time. I confess I had no clue what I was doing when I first started my app. When you create a card it always seems to insist on being the full width of the app. My app is in landscape so it made no sense.
PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

That makes sense then. I believe if you add your desired data fields to the form from the right hand pane (Form Customization), the correct controls and data cards will be created and wired in automatically on your behalf. This should produce a correct structure that the form submission process will subsequently recognize and use. Please see the existing documentation on Forms and data cards.

Forms:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/working-with-forms/

Data cards:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/working-with-cards/

It may also help to start with an auto-generated app from a SP list (New -> App from Data experience), and then inspect the app to see how it was wired:

App From Data:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/app-from-sharepoint/

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 102 members 4,905 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: