Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MattyJ_09
Level: Powered On

Pulling data from excel spreadsheet

Good Morning,

I'm trying to make a PowerApp that pulls data from an excel spreadsheet.  This spreadsheet is automatically updated once per hour.  My issue that I'm running into is the software that exports this data to excel doesn't format the data in a table.  So when I attempt to pull the data from excel I'm unable to because the file doesn't have a table.  Is there a way to bypass this or somehow automatically format the data as a table?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Pulling data from excel spreadsheet

Hi @MattyJ_09,

Do you want to pull data from a Excel file whose data is not formatted as a table into an app?

Currently, within PowerApps, we could only pull data from a Excel file whose data has been formatted as a table into a an app.

If you want to pull data from a Excel file whose data is not formatted as a table into an app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

In addition, there is no way to format the data within a Excel file as a table automatically. You could only format your Excel file data as a table manually.

More details about formatting Excel file's data as a table, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/how-to-excel-tips

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
photonacl

How does the software export data? Does it replace the entire excel file every set of time interval?  Or does it only update the value of the existing file? Have you tried to format the existing file as table first, then have the software somehow only update the cells?

Just a direction of thoughts.

And by excel file we mean xlsx I believe, not csv or sth?
MattyJ_09

It replaces the file each time and it is in xlsx file type.  

I've just made few tests on my sides. The results are:
- I changed file contect from excel, leave the extra PA field empty, extend the table - WORKS

- I changed file contect from excel, leave the extra PA field empty, didn't extend the table - NOT WORKS
- I renamed file - WORKS (unexpectedly)

- I replaced file - NOT WORKS
- I deleted file and then un-deleted it - NOT WORKS (unexpectedly)

So it seems that:
- PA depends on excel sheet table object
- PA keep some relation to specific file by it's uid(?), not file name. Uid(?) is assigned on a file appearance(?). 
In other words you should modify your program (I hope you can do it) so it can modify excel sheet table instead of replacing whole piece.

MattyJ_09

I'm unable to modify the program that gives me the excel spreadsheet.  It is from a third party.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MattyJ_09,

Do you want to pull data from a Excel file whose data is not formatted as a table into an app?

Currently, within PowerApps, we could only pull data from a Excel file whose data has been formatted as a table into a an app.

If you want to pull data from a Excel file whose data is not formatted as a table into an app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

In addition, there is no way to format the data within a Excel file as a table automatically. You could only format your Excel file data as a table manually.

More details about formatting Excel file's data as a table, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/how-to-excel-tips

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,012)