cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pushing updated PowerApps to Users Devices (iOS)

Just came across a scenario where a user acessing via the iOS App did not automatically get the latest version of a Powerapp (shared with Organisation) which I had made changes to and saved earlier.

I thought maybe there would be some lag between saving changes to the app and all users receiving the latest version, so waited about 30 mins,  closed and reopened the app, but behaviour was still the same after this period.

I recreated the issue on my own testing device and found that un-installing and re-installing the iOS app would then show the updated PowerApp. Guessing this issue may be caused by PowerApps caching content on the device?

Although this workaround was succesful, it would be unacceptable to force 500+ users (whom we intend on distributing some of these PowerApps) to reinstall the application and go through the sign in process again, every time an update is released.

Have read elsewhere that users are supposed to recieve a notification when a new version of an app is saved, but this did not happen either.

Anyone else encountered this and have a fix for this issue? Is there any way to force the app to check for version updates in an OnVisible of the first loaded screen? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kristoff
Level: Power Up

Re: Pushing updated PowerApps to Users Devices (iOS)

I have posted a reply to another thread with a solution until Microsoft implements something better.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Mobile-App/PowerApps-App-Publish-Update-Not-Syncing-with-Devices...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I've done a little more testing / troubleshooting and found the following steps appears to be an alternative from uninstalling and re-intalling the app:

1. Wait some time after saving changes (5 minutes seems to do the trick)
  2. Quit Powerapps on iOS (if it's currently open)
  3. Without first opening Powerapps, have the user open the app via a weblink on their iOS device (e.g. https://web.powerapps.com/webplayer/app?source=portal&screenColor=rgba(44%2c+125%2c+154%2c+1)&appId=... ) - a link like this should automatically open in powerapps if the user has it installed on their iOS device.

Following these steps seems to refresh the cache and download the latest version of the app. - tested so far only with iPhone 6 on iOS 10.2.1

Would still be good if there was some way of auto-checking for updates as soon as the app launched. If anyone has come across a way of achieveing this please share, would come in handy!

rahulvartak
Level: Powered On

Hi rolycityaccount,

Did you finally find an alternate way to force update the powerapp on client devices to the latest version. I am facing similar syncing issues & am looking for a solution. 

Thanks,

Rahul 

Super User
Super User

Im finding publishing to be very problematic at the moment also.

Even with the web player.

iOS is hit and miss whether it updates the app.

Testing in the create session works perfectly, when i open in web player or ios, lots of invalid mashups about columns which are not even in the table its trying to collect.

Its as if the formula is getting corrupt on save (about 100 lines of code)

phil1

This is the first time i've had sync issues, haven't created an app for a month or so.. 

I changed the app icon and synced straight away but none of the data worked.. 

Has anyone found a fix??

Thanks

Phil

tflynn5005
Level: Powered On

No kidding this is really a problem works on all other iPad and PC just not on anything else

Super User
Super User

Ive found it akes around 5-10 minutes for it to work.

Just keep rereshing, opening, refreshing,opening

when you see it say downloading, its pretty close, although can still take another couple of close and refreshes.

Kristoff

I have posted a reply to another thread with a solution until Microsoft implements something better.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Mobile-App/PowerApps-App-Publish-Update-Not-Syncing-with-Devices...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,027)